PDA

View Full Version : Since the JEEP guys stopped responding...

MetalMan
08-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Old school fullsize Cherokee. According to nutbar, the older ones with the fulltime 4wd had the rear diff pumpkin offset to the passenger side. I have one of those diffs in my rig, however I don't have fulltime 4wd...it's conventional manual locking hub. So the driveshaft angles down AND sideways...is this going to cause issues with some suspension lift?

UU
08-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Manual locking hubs in an off set rear ?

Nutbar
08-17-2006, 07:00 PM
sorry didn't see to reply before the troubles you will have will be premature ujoint failure do to compound angle on the D shaft

UU
08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Thats what I was going to say, but it sounded like he said offset rear w/ locking hubs. Is that right?

MetalMan
08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Manual locking hubs in an off set rear ?

[16]

So what're my options here then? I doubt the diff I need is going to be easy to find.

Nutbar
08-17-2006, 07:08 PM
A Dana 44 centered pumpkin is kinda hard to find but the centered Eaton model 20 that came in the Wags and Chers are a dime a dozen I probably have a couple here.

Is yours the 2 door Cherokee or the 4 door, it makes a difference in the width of the diff, and what gear ratio do you have.

UU
08-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe I'm just stupid or I'm not understaning this, but, rear manual locking hubs ?

MetalMan
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Maybe I'm just stupid or I'm not understaning this, but, rear manual locking hubs ?

Rear diff...offset. For FULLTIME 4wd, no locking hubs IN THE FRONT...

Manual locking hubs...I have them...up front...so I'm not supposed to have an offset rear diff.

I have offset rear diff. I'm not supposed to. BAD NEWS.

It's a 2-door Cherokee Chief, no clue on the gears though. I'd assume probably something ghey like a 3.08. What's an Eaton 20? Is it any good? Never heard of those...this thing sure looks an awful lot like a 44 to me, though.

ROBO
08-17-2006, 07:36 PM
how about a 9.25? thers afew of them around cheap..

MetalMan
08-17-2006, 09:45 PM
9 1/4 are weaker than 44's aren't they? Either way, I'm pretty sure they aren't a bolt in...if I'm going to start cutting and welding different rears in, I'll start with something beefier than a 1/2T axle.

DirtyComanche
08-17-2006, 10:09 PM
.if I'm going to start cutting and welding different rears in, I'll start with something beefier than a 1/2T axle.

Then why don't you? It's tittyfucking easy to setup an axle for a leaf spring vehicle.

You say you want to lift it. The AMC (Eaton? Never heard it called that) 20 rear isn't a bad axle after you add a truss, but it's not exactly great either... So, maybe you should get a couple birds stoned at once here and fix that?

MetalMan
08-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Well, that's when it gets expensive though too, right? Then I've got to find a beefier front, because the 44 front still won't handle big tires. Then I've got to do gears, since finding diffs that work with matching gears will be damn near impossible. Then getting the brakes working, U-joints, etc etc I can see it adding up a lot very quickly. But I've never actually done one on my own vehicle either...

Nutbar
08-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Then why don't you? It's tittyfucking easy to setup an axle for a leaf spring vehicle.

You say you want to lift it. The AMC (Eaton? Never heard it called that) 20 rear isn't a bad axle after you add a truss, but it's not exactly great either... So, maybe you should get a couple birds stoned at once here and fix that?

AMC and Jeep were the only ones that used it but AMC did not build it Eaton gear company made it for AMC, like Dana does for some of the manufacturers.

DirtyComanche
08-17-2006, 10:44 PM
I knew it wasn't AMC built, but I had no idea it was Eaton.

Learn something new each day.

MetalMan
08-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Okay, well I really think I'm gonna just work with what I got and hope the U's last. I want to wheel this thing, not have it sit for a ridonculous amount of time while I work on it. However, if anybody has a nice set of beefier axles that I could mod into this thing I might be interested.

johny5
08-20-2006, 08:19 PM
i dont think it matters if the drive shaft angles down to the diff centerd or off set as long as its with in a reasionable amount.
i have done a few suzuki with toy diffs and they work fine

ramitkamloops
08-23-2006, 10:17 PM
ther was a jeep wagoneer in kelowna with the normal diffs in it at one of the weckers 4 months ago