PDA

View Full Version : Tranny/T-case question on an Exploder

WagoneerXJ
08-15-2006, 10:29 PM
My boss just dragged in a first gen explorer..91 or 92? 4.0 V6 5spd with the push button t-case. 329,000 KMS on it. Problem with it is you can put the clutch in while in neutral and it's fine. Put it in 1st (or any gear) and let out the clutch and it grinds and won't move.

I have people tellin me the tranny is gone. But I'm thinkin the t-case may be fubared. Like it is stuck in neutral, or just between gears. Any ideas guys? I haven't actually checked it out myself, but this is what I'm told. I will be looking into it tomorrow.

The reason I'm asking is cause I could get it for almost free and use it for a winter beater!

In The Zone
08-16-2006, 09:33 AM
sounds like the t-case but could be just the shift motor stuck in between neutral and 4hi

remove shift motor and manually shift back to 2hi

but first tell buddy it is fubared and tow it home....

or it is the slave cylinder/slave master...not allowing the shift but u would feel it in the shift it would bind .... and grind.

either way worth it if the price is right....

gordwould
08-16-2006, 11:26 AM
[iagree]

WagoneerXJ
08-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Ok so I checked it out myself today. When in neutral you let out the clutch and it doesn't grind but feels like something is spinning around un the driveline. Really strange. It's also hard to get moving, but once it goes it makes some grinding noise. Does this regardless of 2 or 4WD. Any ideas?

In The Zone
08-16-2006, 01:37 PM
release bearing on the inputshaft or likley the slave not fully engaging or releasing the clutch(binding) either way it has to come apart....... roll it in neutral if grinding noise is still there then itis gears..... either tranny /transfer or rearend....

stick it neutral raise the rear tires and run it through the gears also rotate the drivshaft by hand to narrow down the noise..... i

Styx
08-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Sounds like the t-case to me...The main shaft that goes through the t-case is dammaged. replace the t-case and drive it...[cheers]