PDA

View Full Version : Lucy vs aircare

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Well Lucy failed air care.......No surprise...it is a JEEP 88yj 4.2 carbed stock p.o.s electronic

passed two parts driving failed on the c0 in the drive

and the idle test failed on both hc and co

timing is bang on idle is bang on

plugs are clean and gapped (new)

Cat is there air pump crap is bypassed...

new o2 sensor ect.....

thing runs like a top smooth and responsive

just seems to be spewing more emmissions then allowable....

things i did not do

play with mixture /oilchange/ The women did not put the ethanolblend in like i asked..... 2 weeks before aircare....:rolleyes:

StinkFinger
08-15-2006, 10:04 AM
why would you by pass the air pump and throw some rubbinng alcohol in the tank

Big_Ern
08-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Oil change actually helps a lot more than you would think, especially on an older vehicle that probably burns a bit of oil

make sure its good and hot. Also the cat might need replacing at this age especialy since its been beat on offroad etc. a generic cat is no more than $80 at lordco

My car failed horribly. Did an oil change and new cat and it passed with flying colors

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
why would you by pass the air pump and throw some rubbinng alcohol in the tank

the air system was already discoed i just never hooked it back up and ya i think
the cat could be the main problem seeing how many times it has seen deep water while hot......

keep the sugestions coming....

it will all help even if it seems minimal...
[cheers]

StinkFinger
08-15-2006, 10:13 AM
if you need a new cat wakfeild has walker high flow generic ones for like 80 bux

Nutbar
08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
The cat is there but probably not working, the cat will help NOx and CO and for the idle test the idle mixture on the carb is probably a little to rich. For most of those 4.2s to pass aircare you have to set them up for it and then they don't run very well. The aircare passable settings definately don't run the best.

Also has the fuel feed back computer been disconnected? If so then the carb will need some work to pass air care. If not then the timing probably is not set correctly and you have to much timing.To set timing with the fuel feed back hooked up you need to . . .
disconect the vacum advance (standard procedure for most engines[15] )
unplug electric conection to vacum sensors on the firewall
bring the engine up to 2500 rpm
set timing for 8 to 10 degrees
reconect everything disconected previously

StinkFinger
08-15-2006, 10:19 AM
well wooo hoo look at me i know jeep stufff

Nutbar
08-15-2006, 10:21 AM
What are you talkin about you know them toyotas I am the one that knows the jeep stuff[f]

HEAVY METAL
08-15-2006, 10:24 AM
ahahhaha hey mikey.... you used ur sig line on sunday....ahahahahaa

UU
08-15-2006, 10:25 AM
[!]AIRCARE

Nutbar
08-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Because I am SPECIAL my mom tells me that [a] [k] [a] [k]

HEAVY METAL
08-15-2006, 10:28 AM
[15] [15] [15] [15] thats it...[36] [36]

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 10:31 AM
yup the comp was disconected... and timing checked out at 10 deg Vac adv

disconnected but my idle was at 750 rpm...

which i bumped to 1100 for the test was this the wrong thing to do....

man i like efi.... how a bout a head swap ?

StinkFinger
08-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Because I am SPECIAL my mom tells me that [a] [k] [a] [k]

yeh special needs

Nutbar
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Ok well then this stuff is best to do with a 4 gas analyzer so you can see your readings before you go but . . . If the carb that is on her is still the one for the computer (has an electric solenoid thing hanging out the back of the carb) you need to take it off and set the needles on it so they are backed out about half way (you can see one needle through the air horn of the carb to guage this), run the engine without the vacum advance, reset the idle mixture leaned out to the point just before it before it idles rough the idle should not have to be set for 1100, 800 to 900 should suffice then run it through like that. If it does not have the solenoid on the carb still make sure it does not have a little sheet metal plate screwed in place of the solenoid (the reman shit heads do this to make the late computer carbs into the early non computer carbs and it is wrong) if this is the case you will need a solenoid. If it is a non solenoid carb there isn't much you can do with it to change the driving test emissions short of rejetting it.

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 11:35 AM
the soleinoid back of carb with wires coming out most of em have been cut by the previous owner....... i will do what u said tonight.... should i bother hooking the air system back up if it is possible

i would rather not depends on generic cat i guess

Jeeps are foriegn to me still[27]

pm me if u got time and i will bring Lucy by with some $$ if u want a crack at it or just show me what needs to be done...either way i will compensate u for your expertise....[36]

i will put a new cat on first though:D

thanks for all your help....

Big_Ern
08-15-2006, 11:39 AM
if you want to plumb the air you can get a generic cat with the air inlet, but those cats I belive are designed to work best with the air injection, so you're probably better off to leave it disconnected and just get a regular cat. Unless the smog pump does other things on the motor? I know on my car it doesn't so I just eliminated it to simply things

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 11:42 AM
as far as i know it just supplies air then draws that crap back in to the carb to be reburned but i could be wrong...

i say bypass to keep it simple if there is such a thing with Jeeps

StinkFinger
08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
some of them just pump fresh air in to the exaust to lower the ppm of the emissions

Big_Ern
08-15-2006, 11:48 AM
some of them just pump fresh air in to the exaust to lower the ppm of the emissions
it usually pumps air to the cat(s) for more O2 to promote better reaction & burning in the cat to more completely burn remaining hydrocarbons and convert other harmful gases into CO2 etc. newer cats don't usually need this as they use better material inside. Does very little to reduce ppm if you were just to pump air into the tail pipe.

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 11:49 AM
i think that is what this system does...... or did.....LOL

there be two tubes one to the cat from the airbox and the other from the air box to im not sure but there is no air pump that i have seen...

now im puzzzled maybe it would be adventagous to have it ? if only for emmisions...

i still want to do the head swap....

i can get a webber carb for it from Ironman would that be a better carb for it?

Big_Ern
08-15-2006, 11:55 AM
if you get a generic cat without the air injection it will work just as well as a different cat with the air injection hooked up. just figure out where the other line goes to an make sure it doesn't do anything important and you should be fine.

Only my old rx7 I had a new exhaust done with air injection and its emissions were worse than the one I got now with air injection eliminated. Not to say there were no other differences with the motors, but this one aircares easier now.

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 12:34 PM
sounds like a plan then no air in the cat me put new cat keepit simple then make adjustments like Nutbar said

we will see.....

Nutbar
08-15-2006, 12:36 PM
There was no air pump on the 4.2 YJs just those air lines from the air filter to the exhaust and I have had no emissions problems with leaving those disconected

If you give me a call Dan (604 657 2155) you can swing Lucy by and I will make sure that they disconected the computer properly and I have been back working for Matt at Jeap Thrills the last few days we have a four gas analyzer there and it is just down the street from the Maple Ridge Air Scare we can check it on the analyzer and make sure it will pass before you go in and reset it to run well after your done it doesn't take long usually less than an hour total.

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 12:56 PM
You Rock Mikey [36]

Natasha sends [d]

that be what i do then i will put new cat on first then swing by

i will call u for sure........thanks again......[cheers]

Murd0c
08-15-2006, 03:09 PM
maybe try guarantted to pass from canadian tire, get double your money back if it doesn't work

In The Zone
08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
maybe try guarantted to pass from canadian tire, get double your money back if it doesn't work

ya only if oem componenets are still installed and functioning,as well as nothing else has been tampered with ....cost u a arm and a leg to validate your claim

... i put some in like a full tank before going in....

worked in the BII flying colours but it is a FORD so that is expected.[f]

In The Zone
08-18-2006, 04:10 PM
[41][41][41][41][41][41][41][41][41][41][41]

Yehaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucy passed with ease seconed time around Nutbar fixed her up with the computer bypass and 4 gas analyzer........thanks Matt(Jeep thrills)

and one new CAt [cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers]

oh ya [!] AIR CARE

England
08-18-2006, 04:30 PM
good on yer !! Im next

YJ
08-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Thought on 91 and older there was only an idle test. They change this?

In The Zone
08-22-2006, 04:51 PM
never been just idle that i know of scince 92 when it started...