PDA

View Full Version : starting issues

girlcrazy_4
08-15-2006, 12:33 AM
The XJ board is down so I've gotta post here. 1990 XJ limited...

In the engine compartment, far right on the front is this solinoid, 1 or 2 vacuum lines going to it, that go to the air box.. and the EGR I believe. What is this "thing" for? My lines caught on the exaust mani and melted.. so I took everything off but now I'm having cold starting issues. I think this might be the problem.

So yeah... cold starting issue. cranked for a minute strait!!!! struggled to start but finally did. What else could it be?

Big_Ern
08-15-2006, 01:05 AM
the thigny is for ......

girlcrazy_4
08-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Any ways to re-route it? I do not have a EGR valve anymore. Whats the EGR for anyways?

Big_Ern
08-15-2006, 10:36 AM
I got nothin

Hopefully Mikey (nutbar) will see this. I'm sure he's got the answer. Knows his jeep stuff really well[cheers]

StinkFinger
08-15-2006, 10:36 AM
exaust gas recirculation

Nutbar
08-15-2006, 11:18 AM
The solenoid you are talking about is it on the Drivers side frt beside the air box? (left and right of the vehicle is done as if you are sitting in facing forward so left would be drivers and right would be passenger) If so the solenoid is for activating the EGR valve (the computer controls the vacum to the EGR valve) but disconecting the EGR valve should not cause the truck to crank for a long time, if you don't plug off the vacum fittings it will idle high but not crank for extended periods. Long crank time is usually do to one of two things most common is the fuel pump, there is a check valve built into the pump that is supposed to hold fuel pressure in the lines the valves are notorious for failling so when you shut off the truck all the fuel pressure bleeds off then when you go to start it again the fuel pump has to reprime the lines and bleed off the air before it will start. Second and not as common the hall effect switch inside the distributor can fail and it is used to time the fuel injectors the truck will still start and run but it takes several revolutions of the engine for the computer to find TDC of #1 cyl from the other sensors so it can time fuel and ignition properly.

Also the EGR valve is an emisions related device (as was stated by Stinky Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve) and it will bring down the NOx emissions on the driving test at Air Scare if your catalytic converter is good diconecting the EGR may not affect emissions readings and disconecting the EGR will not affect engine performance unless you do not plug off the vacum fittings and you either need to leave the valve in place or put a block off plate on in place of the valve.

girlcrazy_4
08-15-2006, 11:56 AM
thanks for the reply. I re-did all the vacuum lines that go to the solinoid. Got rid of the hard plastic ones and used rubberized tubing. Starts like a dream now. I dont have iether a EGR or a catalytic converter.

About re-priming the lines... is there a way to work around this? Mabye put a large fuel filter just above the fuel rail to hold gas till next time it starts? lol... I hate cranking engines over for long periods of time... even tho cherokee starters are a sinch to replace.

Nutbar
08-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Try cycling the key on and off a couple times before you start, every time you turn the key to the on position the fuel pump cycles for about 10 seconds so turn the key on wait turn it off turn it on wait turn it off turn it on wait and crank engine