PDA

View Full Version : raising gvw

sparkes3
08-14-2006, 07:44 PM
anybody raise it on a full size bronco?

OldEnuff
08-14-2006, 07:52 PM
My '87 is reg'd as a pickup and 5001 kg. But this was done a long time ago. The rules have changed.

So now..........

To raise the gvw (legally) you have to remove the rear seat and make it so that it cannot be reinstalled.

Then you can change the regi from MPV to delivery truck/pickup truck etc.
This is the first change.

Then you can raise the gvw.
This is the second change.

But............any time 2 changes are made to the regi a VI is mandatory.

So if your Bronco has no VI issues then go for it.

sparkes3
08-14-2006, 08:00 PM
thanx .i dont have one yetbut i have to get one now so i can take the family with me

u2slow
08-14-2006, 08:36 PM
To raise the gvw (legally) you have to remove the rear seat and make it so that it cannot be reinstalled.

Then you can change the regi from MPV to delivery truck/pickup truck etc.
This is the first change.

I folded the seat down and threw in a piece of loose plywood. That was all it took to make the Autoplan guy happy.

He changed my Suburban from a 'station wagon' into a 'sedan delivery', which gave it truck plates and a licensed GVW.

m j
08-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I sweet talked the Lady into the "sedan delivery" thing.
It works best if you have the VIC code on hand for them. something like DMTAEN.

I thought that was far enough on the first attempt, then next time did the GVW

08-14-2006, 09:51 PM
you can only raise it 1 1/2 times the weight of the truck so i can only raise the trooper to about 4200 with out a VI

fishhead
08-14-2006, 09:57 PM
my ranger is regi'd at 5100 as well

B
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
so's my two wheel drive chev and my big one 5100 [5][5][5][5]

HEAVY METAL
08-14-2006, 10:48 PM
fuk ive treid twice now.. they wont let me.. i drive a 2 door station wagon yo...

u2slow
08-14-2006, 11:01 PM
you can only raise it 1 1/2 times the weight of the truck so i can only raise the trooper to about 4200 with out a VI
1.5x the listed vehicle weight is the baseline (default) GVW level for a commercial vehicle. You can specify anything you want. Often you have to boost it just to legally use the factory GVWR rating. Any VI or weigh-scales slip crap they pull is at their discretion - either they are trying to thwart you attempts to bypass aircare, or its their own in-house rule.

I didn't push the 'sedan delivery' until I saw it in the list on their computer. I didn't want give the impression I knew their rules inside-out and trying use them to my advantage.

I pushed my "properly insured" schtick: I want it just like all the other plumbers and electricians who have vans with truck plates. I switched my policy to artisan use at the same time - I'm sure it added to the genuine nature of the request.

08-14-2006, 11:04 PM
1.5x the listed vehicle weight is the baseline (default) GVW level for a commercial vehicle. You can specify anything you want. Often you have to boost it just to legally use the factory GVWR rating. Any VI or weigh-scales slip crap they pull is at their discretion - either they are trying to thwart you attempts to bypass aircare, or its their own in-house rule.

I didn't push the 'sedan delivery' until I saw it in the list on their computer. I didn't want give the impression I knew their rules inside-out and trying use them to my advantage.

I pushed my "properly insured" schtick: I want it just like all the other plumbers and electricians who have vans with truck plates. I switched my policy to artisan use at the same time - I'm sure it added to the genuine nature of the request.

Hmmm i am going to try the sedan delivery.

J20
08-15-2006, 12:11 AM
fuck my buddy walked into the agent said i want to raise my gvw and bam done........and that was on a toy with a flat deck

u2slow
08-15-2006, 12:23 AM
fuck my buddy
er... is he hot? [35][14][15]

J20
08-15-2006, 01:31 PM
[15] [15] [fire] [fire] [kicknuts] [kicknuts]

m j
08-19-2006, 06:15 PM
fuck my buddy walked into the agent said i want to raise my gvw and bam done........and that was on a toy with a flat deck

any pickup truck can easily raise the GVW
the problem lies in that ICBC has decided that a Bronco or Blazer or Ramcharger or Suburban, that are based 100% on a real truck chassis, are station wagons or SUVs and gave them car plates (not commercial)
you cannot change the GVW on a car plate.
so the trick is to change the VIC to a vehicle that can be licenced commercially.
you get spun in a circular logic problem with the agent right about there. almost like talking to PC4x4 idiots.
if you try and claim 'truck' they start with the remove the seats etc stuff.
you do not want to change your vehicle just the registration code.
it is a paperwork problem, bureaucracy.

not sure WTF an SUV is but to me it is those little pisspot things based on FWD cars and I would agree to limit them to a sane GVW

FU Toolbag
08-20-2006, 09:31 PM
R U doin this just to skirt the aircare? If so I applaude your attempt to give the canadian salute to the International Coalition of Ball Crushers. I've uped my gvw on my truck without a problem, and my suburban came with a 4900 gvw. Maybee I should try and get a suzuki to 5000. Think that might get some strange looks?