PDA

View Full Version : 1979 First Gen Build Up

Ditchpig
08-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Okay, I just kinda found this site and it totally kicks ass. I'm happy that there is a forum and site that is based in the best province in Canada!! Here is my current build going on and the story attatched to it!

May '06: Wife totalled her sweet '86 GTI and it was a trip to the wreckers to dump it off, I spied a 1979 Toyota 4x4 Shortbox at the far rear of the yard. On further inspection I found it's frame in great shape as well as running gear and most parts intact. Bought it and brought it home :)

I've been slowly working on the truck since then. It didn't have any motor, doors, windshield, fenders or hood, not to mention that it had been rear ended and the front clip was destroyed. Here was a pic of the truck when I got it home in the photo named TRUCK! It was in sad shape indeed. At first I thought I'd just take the box off and toss it cause it was so badly smashed and rusted but then I decided to start cutting and fixing it cause I loved the first gen body style so much. I'll include a pic of after I'd trimmed the bent/rusted/smashed part of the box off... aptly named "Trimmed"

I'll leave this first post at that, I'll take some pics tonight of the suspension work I've done, as well as the body work and motor that I put in this past weekend. The truck still isn't running so I think it's still considered a build at this point, mainly because I spend too much time cruising this forum and not enough time working :) Thanks for tuning in guys and gals!! [1c]

highwaystar
08-10-2006, 06:40 PM
I sure hope you get that thing goin so u can show me some mines in your area :D

looks good!

retro paint job on there = [36]

toyotapower
08-10-2006, 06:50 PM
thats fuckin sweet, i got a 79 toy short box, best year of them trucks man. i spent a lot of time fix'm mine to maker good, my truck pretty well looked like urs. thats sweet, dont see to many 79's out there anymore, good luck

Ditchpig
08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
I just got a sweet Warn Winch bumper to add to the truck the other day, it's got the headlight guards and everything. I'm having such a hard time tracking down the front clip that once I get one I wanna protect it as best I can. The headlight doors and grille for the round headlight trucks are a pain to find! I have the passenger side ATM and none of the wreckers around have anything else :( I'll load up the pics I took tonight tomorrow sometime so people can have a look at the progress!! I have to put the radiator in and the header I got for it on and then hopefully I'll have it running by this weekend, maybe even drive it out of the garage!!

MooseKnuckle
08-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Looks like quite the project, I look forward to the future results with it, as I am keeping an eye on the same yearish in the back of a farmers feld.

MooseKnuckle

bakelite
08-10-2006, 08:41 PM
cool [36] nice to see the old ones brought back, good luck on the build man.[cheers]

Big_Ern
08-10-2006, 09:46 PM
sweet[36]

first gens kick ass[36][36]

I've got an '80 myself:cool:

Arnee
08-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Looks like quite the project, I look forward to the future results with it, as I am keeping an eye on the same yearish in the back of a farmers feld.

MooseKnuckle

Don't wait to long or the cacksucker will sell it on ya thats wat happened to me

Ditchpig
08-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Trip to the wreckers tomorrow!! I'm gonna get a POST '78 Intake manifold so I can use a cable throttle instead of the rod type that they used on my intake that I have on the engine now. I'm also gonna take a few pics of the wiring in the "still together" trucks to get mine all good, it's been tough to make a 1978 20R out of a Toyota Celica work in this truck with it's harness and all. So far I've had to swap the 2WD Oil Pan and sump to 4WD Pan and sump, oil gauge sensor AND oil light sender, distributor to coil harness, intakes, and the list will undoubtedly grow longer and longer. I've also got to get a few nuts for the U-Bolts and suspension parts, can't get them anywhere and I've tried Lordco, Acklands, B.C. Fasteners, Motor Rebuilders.... everywhere short of the stealership. I promise that Saturday will be the photo day!! :)

Ditchpig
08-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Lol, almost forgot that I need a Driver's side fender and hood :)

shifty5
08-12-2006, 10:16 AM
I have a grill and other front clip parts if you want them

Ditchpig
08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Well. After I thought It was smooth sailing I've hit a snag! I went to start up my newly installed engine and the starter just made a big clunk noise. I fiddled and played with the wires and tried it again and nothing. I tried to move the crank manually and it would move and then all of a sudden hit something! So I've pretty much decided that it's hitting the clutch arm and I'll have to change it out. I've got the motor all pulled out AGAIN! Now I just need to hit Lordco up tomorrow. Other than that minor issue everything is cruising right along. I've got a few pics to send along tonight too, I would have loaded them up yesterday but I hit the snag and started tearing....

I've got a pic of the dirty greasy engine after the FIRST install, now I've gotta do it all again and once it's done I gotta drive it down to the hose..

and the other is of the "SR-5" insides from '79! The door panels are all nice and Armour-Alled because I redid the doors and cleaned em at the same time :) [cheers]

lizard
08-13-2006, 10:19 PM
heres my 1990 ssr, funny thing is there still pretty much the same truck,just differant sheetmetal

Big_Ern
08-14-2006, 12:58 PM
damn that is a sweet truck liz:cool:

Ditchpig
08-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Another snag!! Went to Lordco and they don't sell the throwout bearing hubs there, as well as not selling the spring retention clips for the fucking arm to hub. Can you believe that? I have an arm out of the 5 speed tranny but I hope that the clearances on the hub are the same from the L43 to the L50/52 or I'm hooped. Anyone got any experience with this? Thanks if ya do :)

lizard
08-14-2006, 07:09 PM
ummm ........maybe try toyota for the parts

price will be scary

Toy_Runner
08-14-2006, 09:32 PM
i got 22r motor tranny (l50) and transfer for sale, $200

Ditchpig
08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
I would think that the clips wouldn't cost me 200 bucks though... It doesn't matter I ghetto rigged up some clips and put the motor back together last night anyway. I figured that once I got the clutch assembly together and pressure on the arm and hub those clips wouldn't do much anyway, at least until my bearing starts to go. Now I've gotta get my starter in there and turn that baby over!

Ditchpig
08-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Okay, so here are some leet updates. I got the motor running after rebuilding the starter. I also think that seeing as I forgot a ground or two on the motor didn't help. I got it running now as long as I wanna stand there and keep pouring gas into the carb. I am going to skip the mechanical fuel pump in lieu of an electric unit. I also had to drain the litre or two of shitty old marked gas that the P.O. left in the tank. I also gotta build an exhaust after my header that I've got, right now it sounds like a tractor without a proper muffle on there. Bled the clutch, and it feels great. I just have to do some MAJOR brake work now, seeing as someone cut the rear brake line about 3 inches from the M.C.... retards. I might just upgrade to I.F.S. calipers if I gotta as well, as a 1" bore cylinder, if the stock brakes turn out to be fuxxored. I also have a drivers side axel seal leak I believe now after changing the gear oil and watching it leach out of that end. Not Stoked. I'll throw up some pics of the 3 tonnes of bodywork and painting that I've done on this beast, I am slowly becoming a Bondo master :p !!

Toy_Runner
08-28-2006, 09:31 PM
sounds good mang!! [36]

bakelite
08-29-2006, 07:25 AM
one of my rust buckets [15] looking forward to seeing more pics of your build[36]

pretty much the same cept a long (rusty) box, same colour I think :cool:

25779 25780

Ditchpig
08-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Lol, sad part is that your "rust bucket" was in WAY better shape than mine was when I started! I still have to fix the worst parts of the box that I am 'gulp' saving! I've still got no tailgate, as my truck was rear ended really well prior to it's trip to the wreckers. I'm still missing quite a few odds and ends like a Driverside fender, Bumpers, Passenger side Turn sig, Tail light lens on Driver side, Driver side Headlight door, Front Grille, Hood, Windshield and I think that's it. :) I know I'm getting a "workable" fender and a decent hood this weekend from the wreckers and I'm gonna have to try the 4x4 recycler in Enderby for the other bits and pieces and get raped in the process, but hey... it's worth it! So from the sounds of things your "rustbucket" isn't so shitty after all!

Ditchpig
08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Oh, quick note, I noticed that your truck has the square headlight front grille right? It's the 5 square one and I believe that all round headlight trucks came with 4 square grilles right? :p

bakelite
08-29-2006, 07:35 PM
The pictures look way better than the trucks [15] way rusty and the red one's been rolled. I dunno about the grilles this one is like tie strapped on. [15]

Ditchpig
08-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Alright, I started feeling bad seeing as I've been posting and not "showing" so here are a few pics of the truck, trying it's best to look like an off road monster in disguise... notice the awesome bush bumper being held on with a jack stand...impressive huh? I also popped one in there of the spray can paint and sooper dooper undercoating I've done over top of about 12 hours of body work, a poor time investment so far. Last but not least a shot of the no driver side fender action as well as a bald LT 235/75/15 and a front leaf that sags worse than 80 year old hooters :eek: I've gotta do something about that too, but only after the truck is mobile... maybe just a 2" shackle lift... dunno [41]

Toy_Runner
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
that;s starting to look like a truck again, what are you going to run for tires, 33's

ray
08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
i think he should put a big 10 inch on it and run some 35s

Ditchpig
08-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Well, as it stands I have to deal with whatever LT 235's I find at random tire repair places until I go big. I don't like to do stuff if I'm just gonna do it half assed y'know? I'm trying to get the truck together to grab firewood right now but as soon as I'm warm and toasty, the truck is going back in the garage and more than likely after winter I'll put 33's on it. I've also got to get some sort of suspension lift going for the front seeing as I *almost* have negative leaf spring action going on up there and about 2" of shock travel because of it :( Rear end is all good, as I've replaced the rear set of springs so the truck's profile looks kinda like a buggy, all jacked up in the ass and lowered in the front. I'm getting a fender and hood this weekend so I'll update the pics and my progress after getting them on there... I'm getting close [36] Oh yeah and for the big winch, my neighbour has a Warn 6000 that is just sitting around, I'm gonna try and buy it off him soon and hook it up to that bumper [1c]

whitlers
08-31-2006, 08:10 PM
wow commin together nicely good job

Ditchpig
09-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Well here's a quick note before I go and do all the work this weekend! I ponied up and bought a set of front calipers to replace the old TOTALLY rusted things that were on there. I couldn't get the PINS out to even remove the brake pads, let anone turn the bleeder screw. I went for the IFS caliper and Land Cruiser vented front rotors and got em for a pretty good deal I think... Calipers were 65 bucks each and the rotors were 27 bucks each. Sound right? I'm gonna be putting them on tomorrow and I'll take a few pics of the progression on the brake job so everyone can have a good laugh at the piece of shit brakes on this truck ATM. :) See everyone tomorrow!!!!

Big_Ern
09-15-2006, 07:58 PM
sounds like a decent deal for the rotors & calipers. Good choice to upgrade them :cool:

Ditchpig
09-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I've got Ryan @ Lordco to thank for the hook up on them. There has been a 'slight' glitch. The wrong caliper was stuffed into the box for the drivers side so I had to stop after getting the disc and the hub all back together. I'll be grabbing the proper caliper for the vented disc tomorrow and putting the driver's side back together again!! After that experience all I have are 3 words:
[22] FUCK CONE WASHERS [22]

sj-x 500
09-16-2006, 09:56 PM
man. you just have to learn how to deal with the cones. hit the hub on the side, it shoots out. same with the steering arm

Ditchpig
09-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I wish it had been that easy on mine though. Someone put RTV silicone in the holes around each washer, dunno what they were thinking. In the end I just wedged a small jewelers screwdriver in the slot and tapped it in then I hit the hub and they slowly came out. I'm gonna do the other side today, it'll probably go a lot easier now that I got it down :)

ToyotaHEAD
09-17-2006, 11:59 AM
man. you just have to learn how to deal with the cones. hit the hub on the side, it shoots out. same with the steering arm

OMG!!! dont listen to this foo! ACK! ACK! ACK! Larry yes this does work, but I would only recommend this as a last resort!

The cones come out quite easily with the proper massaging. However should you have an old set of Vice grips and dont mind grinding the jaws more like a beak this is the best way to get them out. Just clamp on the vice grips, and plull / twist, they come out every time with min effort. And no fucked up looking hub after.

Chewtoy
09-17-2006, 12:08 PM
I usually just tap on the spindle near the hub, and the cones pop out, silicone or not. Doesn't take much. And I got no idea how the vice grips would work.. got a pic?

ToyotaHEAD
09-17-2006, 12:16 PM
The cones never totally go in flush to the hub. So if you grind the tips of the vice grips so they come together to a near point, They will be able to grip the still showing tip of the cone washers.

FZJ80
09-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Two words "Lead Hammer" that is all.

Ditchpig
09-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Well I've perfected a technique of my own then I guess but the vice grip thing sounds great too! I'm putting up a couple pics of the just 5 minute ago progress!! Check it out and I'lll post some more tonight :)

StillRYE
09-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Did ya get that new caliper

ToyotaHEAD
09-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Not a big deal or anything, but correct me if I am wrong... I am pritty sure in 79' the hub and rotors wernt able to be seperated from one another.... Have your front hubs been changed out before?

Big_Ern
09-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Two words "Lead Hammer" that is all.

yup, lead hammer or brass drift on the end of the studs and they pop right out. nothing gets fucked up this way...

Big_Ern
09-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Not a big deal or anything, but correct me if I am wrong... I am pritty sure in 79' the hub and rotors wernt able to be seperated from one another.... Have your front hubs been changed out before?

I have never heard of that before

My front axles are from a '79 and they weren't like that either.

Jimmie
09-18-2006, 02:10 AM
i think 79-83 you have to press out the studs to change the rotors and 84 85 the rotor is bolted on :confused:

Ditchpig
09-21-2006, 05:45 PM
I have no idea about the "pressing out the stud" stuff, I just banged on the back of the rotor to free the hub because it was rusted together in a shitty kinda way... notice the pic of the old rotor? That was the good one too. I've got my wheels on it now and put the hubs all back together, looks pretty good and I'd take a pic to prove it but my camera batteries are charging :) I did some more painting and now my shitty fender that I got for free is on there and painted. I'm going to attempt to tackle the roof tonight or this weekend, I'm going Land Cruiser style on it and painting the roof white, just to breal up the olive drab I've gone with so far. The only thing stopping this thing from being driven illegally all over Cherryville is me wiring up the fuel pump and a windshield, but the windshield is kinda optional :) I've also gotta put in the 2" lift shackles I just got too...more work.

Ditchpig
09-23-2006, 01:47 PM
I got down to business and painted up the roof all nice and white, still gotta wait for it to stop being tacky before I can tape and paint around it but whatever, I need a break from the paint fumes [14] The white doesn't come out the best in the pic because of all the light outside but you still get the idea. I am not going to attempt to install the 2" Shackle lift this weekend I dont think, too much other stuff to do :( I have started lubing them up with liquid wrench though, that's gonna be a real bitch to get those suckers off with 27 years of rust to contend with. Here's a pic of the painting and pseudo body work as it progresses, I still gotta get a windshield installed!! I'm retarded. I'll also inculde some of the fabbed dent work too for fun. [49]