PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lift a cherokee?

GotJeepGoDeep
08-08-2006, 09:52 PM
[27] Hi all

Dont know much about this stuff but from what I gather we can only do a suspension lift on our Cherokee is this right? does any one know of a good place to go to get this done around Vancouver? or can we do this our selfs?

kootenaycat
08-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Hockey pucks is the only way I've heard. :D

bratboy
08-08-2006, 10:42 PM
you can only do a suspension lift as they are a uni-body so you can't do a body lift. you can get up to 3" of lift with rubber spacers on top of the front springs and blocks between the rear axle and leaf spring. if you are mechanically inclined it would be fairly easy for you if not then........
the lift itself is only about $150 (for 3") the labour i don't know as i did mine myself. hope this helps you out.

Vernon_TJ
08-08-2006, 10:54 PM
you can either do a lift with blocks (cheap and it shows) or a Real suspension lift which gives you new springs front and rear. This has the added benifit of no more saggy springs and better articulation. Tried an add a leaf on my old cherokee and then within months put in a real lift.... No comparison. even road better on the street and was able to leave out the front sway bar. just had to be careful on off camber corners

UU
08-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Rubicon 3 1/2 " lift kit, bigger is better.

Nutbar
08-08-2006, 10:58 PM
The "budget boosts" suck the suspension won't work right which translates into a truck that doesn't drive well. Also the stock leaf springs in the Cherokees suck so a lift block on them only kills the springs even faster and on top of putting the coil spacers and lift blocks in you will need longer shocks that will cost you another 250 to 300 bucks on top of the garbage spacers. My suggestion is to save a little money and buy a REAL lift kit the Rancho one is reasonable in price and gives you new rear leaf springs in their kit (most of the cheap lift kits give you an add a leaf or lift blocks for the rear and those are junk added to garbage springs) the Rancho kit is a 3 in which will fit 31s off road with no fender trimming and possibly up to 33s with some good fender trimming

godzuka
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
just lift it into a car crusher. nutbar is right

GotJeepGoDeep
08-10-2006, 05:44 PM
What about trailmaster are they any good?

Nutbar
08-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Trail Masters ride a little stiff. The main thing to look for when you are looking at the lifts for those little cherokees is that the kit comes with new rear leaf springs, not an add a leaf or a lift block.

B
08-10-2006, 06:52 PM
[stupid] ... rancho rides better than trailmaster .... use the fibc account when u price it at lordco ...

bakelite
08-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I got a BDS lift...4 inch from NSOR. I can run 31's but I had to take the front fender flares off now it's starting to loosen up.[15] It was easy to install don't forget to drop the transfer case. The BDS kit comes with everything you need.[cheers]

jakerngr
08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
crane

Explorer guy418
08-10-2006, 09:01 PM
[15] [stupid]

Grantman
08-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Stay away from the Trail Disaster XJ lift, it is a hokey p.o.s. (I've installed lots of them, not by choice). ANY other lift would be a better choice. Hell, you could even piece one together, not much more than front and rear springs, shocks and a set of U-bolts is required. Stock brake hoses can be relocated lower on the chassis and the track bar mount on the axle will have to be redrilled to center the axle once the front springs are in. Stock sway bar links can be lengthened (or omitted, along with the sway bar in my case) or replaced with quick disconnects. 4" up is as much as i would recommend without going to a set of aftermarket control arms, but the rig would benifit from a set of lower ones to help correct caster issues encountered even with a conservative lift.