PDA

View Full Version : Coil Question

Ditchpig
08-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I have a 1978 20R in my truck that I just installed this weekend. My truck is a '79 and I've noticed that most of the connectors don't match up. I've also got the ignition coil that was originally in the truck there. Should I hook up my old engine to the Ignition coil in the truck or swap out my old ignition from the donor? I'm going to be splicing most of the connectors for the starter, distributor, ect. 1 year difference in the engine from the chassis and I have a totally different wiring harness!![27]

FZJ80
08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I would change out components to match the harness in the truck, they are readily available and my be you could trade the ones you have for the ones you need. If you do change the harness solder and shrink tube all your connections don't use butt connectors.

Ditchpig
08-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks. I have a few of the pieces that swap in like the distributor. The old harness on the engine now has a square type connector and the new harness takes the round type. I also have the starter that matches the wiring harness but I can't figure out if it works or not, it kinda came in the back of the truck with the rest of the parts other than the motor. Would hooking the starter up to the appropriate wires and turning the key make the starter fire up?