PDA

View Full Version : Toy axle Question

Toyrantula
08-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Took the left rear axle out to redo the oil seal and clean all the crud out.

Happen to notice the backing plate wobbles prety bad on the axle. This mean my bearing is shot?

Fn hope not, cause I havent got the tools to do that or the stamina. The rear seal just about pooped me out.

Tmax
08-06-2006, 02:01 AM
it's actually not a big deal. take it to a shop to have it pressed out. no point changing a seal if the bearing is shot.
[cheers]

Stetson
08-07-2006, 10:59 AM
pull the shaft with backing plate out, remove the snap ring off the axle down at the bearing, hold the backing plate with the stubb end down, raise it above you head, and slam the stubb end down against the ground (find a CONCRETE pad) wear gloves! once or twice and the backing plate and bearing slide right down. Its very easy, and it WILL NOT dammage the splines. Ive done alot of them. Bearings are over $100 OEM, or lordco has an aftermarket for about $40-$50.

Grantman
08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Those rear axle bearings always have a little play in them, if it doesn't feel or sound crunchy when you spin it it's prolly OK. If you do plan to reuse it, pry out the inner seal on the axle bearing and pack the bearing and housing end with wheel brg grease.

Toyrantula
08-07-2006, 10:34 PM
said screw it and put the seal in and went for a run. Seeems fine.

Mind you I packed the O ring in silicone