PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D. tail light swap on 89 yj

muky
08-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone has installed some led tail lights on a yj before. I am going to attempt it but am not quite sure where to cut the hole?? I have the 4inch round lights and a 4 1/2 inch hole saw needed to make the cut I just dont know how far down the body to start drilling. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it and if not , well , check back here soon for the right way or maybe the WRONG WAY to do this job. I found this drawing but it is for a tj and dont know if it is the same as the yj?

Decide on the location of your new LED lights. We placed Brandon's so that the bottom of the LED template was flush with the bottom of the existing wiring harness hole. This kept us low enough to miss the top of the fender well and high enough for the grommet to clear the gas filler. This also made cutting easy as the hole to start the jigsaw was already there.

B
08-03-2006, 04:44 PM
yup that covers it [5][5]

bakelite
08-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Cool gonna let us see when it's done, take some pics doing it? I would like to do mine too if I ever get it running. lol. [cheers]

YJ
08-03-2006, 07:07 PM
You will have to ground the lights right to the tub, and put a 4-way flasher rely into the normal rely socket.

muky
08-03-2006, 10:14 PM
What do you mean yj ???? Not quite following you. Why do I need to put a 4 way flasher relay into the normal relay???? Are the stock tail lights grounded to the tub as well. I am assuming they are because there is only three wires to the tail lights. I thought the white was the ground but I thinks it might be the running lights. and the other two are signals/brakes and reverse. As for reverse I think i will put in a couple little ricer fog lights.

YJ
08-04-2006, 08:50 PM
When I did mine, the "normal" relay didn't seem to work (not sure as to why) so I just put the 4-way one into the normal socket and have had no problems since. Got another one to put back in the 4-way socket. As for the ground (it was 5 years ago that I did mine) I know we had an issue with it, just can't remeber what.

Are the ones you have the push in kind or the rivet type? Not that it matters just wondering.

I just got amber LED side markers to replace the ones on my fenders. Should be installing those soon.

Grantman
08-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Led lights dont draw enough current to operate a conventional (thermal) flasher. Using an electronic one will remedy that tho.

YJ
08-05-2006, 06:17 PM
BTW the ground issue, I remember now! The stock lights are grounded using the mounting bolts, therefore you must wire a ground for the LED's

muky
08-06-2006, 03:09 AM
so the wire i thought was the ground is probably the running lights then. Hmmmmmmmmm makes more sense now. The ones I have are the push in ones for now unless I can find some rivet/screw in ones. I have been trying to find the little 1 or 1 1/2 inch round ones in white but I dont think they make them.

muky
08-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Well , got it done. Everything went fairly smoothly. Removed the old tailight lens with the four screws holding it on. With the lens off I removed the three bolts that hold the tail light assembly to the tub and pulled it out untill the plug for the lights came out the hole , and then unplugged the lights and threw the tail light assembly on the ground. I then took the 4 1/2 inch hole saw and cut a hole in a piece of cardboard which I used to locate the spot to drill and then center punched it . (Note: after marking the center point to start drilling , cardboard template makes a great frisbee!!!) I then took my hole saw and started cutting , and cutting , and cutting , making sure to lube the blade alot with gear oil to keep from dulling the teeth. once the hole was cut it was just a matter of splicing into the wireing harness which was simple. (Cant remember which color was which , use a test light) and grounding the light itself to the tub with just a self tapping screw. (I left a long length of wire connected to the wire for the back-up lights so I can mount some fog lights to the rear bumper at a later date.) Once I had my wiring done AND TESTED!!!! I painted the cuts with rustoleum paint so it wont rust and installed the rubber grometts. Then connected the wiring to the lights and pushed the lights into the rubber grommets and presto , new led tailights that work awesome. Here are the pics I took of the install. The only thing I would do differently is move the hole down about 3mm to avoid hitting the upper fender. I didnt hit it but was really really close. And no this wasnt an add for Jeep thrills , just poor placement of the decal.

UU
08-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Nicely done, I'm looking to do that to my jeep.

Just curious though, why is the roof on [f]

Vanilla Gorilla
08-14-2006, 11:06 PM
cause the sky is falling

HEAVY METAL
08-15-2006, 12:09 AM
whats a roof?

muky
08-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I just took it out of storage that day and the roof has been off ever since. Promise !!!!!!!!

YJ
08-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Looks good.

muky
09-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Why thank you .