PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

KINGCRUISER
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
I have a 86 22re and it seems to be having some trouble starting recently. I get nothing when I turn the key normally, but if i press the clutch safty cancel button it will make a click, or on the odd occasion fire up. The problem seems to be getting worse and I am just trying to decide if I need a new starter or what. Let me know what you think, or any solutions to this problem. Also the chareg and brake warning lights are lit up before ignition.

Always broke
08-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Don't change the starter it's just the contacts inside really cheap to fix (about 8 bucks) but you will have to remove the starter to do it[cheers]

slacker
08-02-2006, 06:41 PM
also check the mounting nut & bolt ...

I had the same problem , and a loose nut will disrupt the ground ..

FZJ80
08-02-2006, 06:54 PM
I second the starter contacts, had same issue with our 80 series Cruiser, $13.00 later good to go.

Toyquad
08-02-2006, 06:54 PM
dont just check there.. check all conections! i had a bad ground from battery to block cause same problem .

sj-x 500
08-02-2006, 06:56 PM
bypass the neutral saftey switch first off. they suck.

then tap the starter with a hammer when it doesn't wanna go. if it works a few times but sounds worse each time then it is the windings dragging. new starter. if is still works when it wants to, pull the concact plate out and change it or clean the concacts

Toyquad
08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
bypass the neutral saftey switch first off. they suck.

then tap the starter with a hammer when it doesn't wanna go. if it works a few times but sounds worse each time then it is the windings dragging. new starter. if is still works when it wants to, pull the concact plate out and change it or clean the concacts

i have a starter that only works when you hit it... how do i fix that?

sparky
08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
pull it out and check the contacts and change both contacts and the plunger with the spring behind it......real easy to do !!!!![51]

sj-x 500
08-02-2006, 10:39 PM
i have a starter that only works when you hit it... how do i fix that?

time for a rebuild. bearings are hooped. or it's packed in mud. or the windings are hanging out. time for a new one.

could be the concact plate, but often it isn't.

shockless
08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
mine i had to hit at first when i filled it with mud haha

KINGCRUISER
08-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks alot, I will pull the starter this weekend and try to get it fixed. Can anyone explain how to byepass that neutral safty switch, I already had it out to take a look but wasn't sure what to do exactly?

Toyquad
08-07-2006, 10:39 AM
I havent looked behing the switch on the dash .... but if there is just 2 wires...... join them together. There might be three wires.... one might be for the light in the switch .... figure it out .. its not hard