PDA

View Full Version : brake lines - disk brakes.

crimsen
07-29-2006, 01:42 PM
alright, im going to be running disk brakes on the rear of my truck. i know i will need the adjustable proportioning valve, to reduce pressure to prevent lockups.

what i am wondering, is will i keep the stock prop valve also, or take it out and run a straight line to the front, and a stright line to the rear with the adjustable valve?

pic 1 is whats in stock, pic 2 is the adjustable valve i will have

boyzen
07-29-2006, 03:55 PM
you got ti right with taking the original out and throw it in the creek,

m j
07-29-2006, 04:02 PM
you will probably not need the adjustable one.
keep the stocker.
disable the hold off valve at the front of the prop valve (actually it is a combo valve)

if you toss the stocker you can suffer a total loss of braking in the event of a line failure.
you need the shuttle valve, and the warning light is a nice feature to keep.

crimsen
07-29-2006, 07:19 PM
thats kinda what i was wondering. thanks guys.

will it be fine to run both? would suck losing all brakes.

m j
07-29-2006, 08:19 PM
not uncommon to gut the combo valve of everything except the shuttle and run an adjustable
I have never needed an adjustable

Nutbar
07-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I have been running mine so far without the adjustable prop valve I just have a lot of rear brake bias, I have the adjustable one and when I do go to put it in I will still leave the stock one in.

MudRam
07-30-2006, 02:05 AM
I turfed everyting, and ran a straight line to the front, and back, with an adjustible proportioning valve in line, on the rear, and love it!! it gives you the ability to tune your brake bias to the surface your driving on, or to your driving style.....money well spent, and no guess work!!! just turn the dial!!

epic3
07-30-2006, 09:19 PM
until ya blow a line eh
run both valves the stock then the adjustable after the stock thats safest and easiest

stuckle
07-30-2006, 09:36 PM
im running the disc conversion with no prop valve.

Under normal braking conditions with my heavy truck it stops awesome. Cant really tell theres a ton of rear brake. If you slam them hard to the floor then my rear locks up but it still stops great:D

if i was you, and this is how im gona do it, keep the stocker and then just add the prop valve after it. Then your front still get the same amount and the rears get what you choose. The drums take more pressure to apply then the calipers do so if you leave it in it dosent matter...

stuckle
07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
and make sure you put a soft line in the rear before the hard lines on the housing. Your caliperds are floating so a hard line will eventually break. I just ran a 6 inch soft line and thenmy hard lines down the housing to the T and then another solf line from that to the hard line on the frame...

crimsen
07-30-2006, 09:51 PM
ya, im runnins a soft to the calipers. what PN did you use for the little 6" piece? i got the stock from the 80's chev 3/4 ton HD fronts, but i don't like them. i want just a short rubber line

stuckle
07-30-2006, 09:56 PM
i got steel braided lines all the way around. Got them from mopac for like 8 bucks each i think...

i dont remember the number that was on them tho. If you want them pm me and maybe ill go get them and bring them up to you friday...

m j
07-30-2006, 11:42 PM
i got steel braided lines all the way around. Got them from mopac for like 8 bucks each i think...

i dont remember the number that was on them tho. If you want them pm me and maybe ill go get them and bring them up to you friday...

that equals instant fail on an MVI
last I was in Mopac they didnt carry a DOT compliant brake line.
if it doesnt specifically state compliance then they are not.
what brand?

there are legal stainless lines

stuckle
07-30-2006, 11:47 PM
not sure. They didnt say they wernt dot approved... but im not worried...

not gona get vi'd so im all good:D

crimsen
07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
PM sent

Grantman
07-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Running without the stock combination valve will NOT cause you to lose all braking if you rupture one line, unless you were running a single circuit master cylinder. However, adjustable prop. valves are not street legal and will fail a VI if the inspector sees it (so hide it on the frame).