PDA

View Full Version : Are these worth it?

Nile
07-28-2006, 01:28 AM
I wanna get these spacers for my truck is it worth it and is it evan noticeable?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&item=290011387772&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

kamloopsyota
07-28-2006, 02:04 AM
1/4"???? that doesnt seem like much at all

Nile
07-28-2006, 02:12 AM
i kno i wanna get these but ther way to much money

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chevy-8-Lug-Truck-Wheels-2-Wheel-Spacers_W0QQitemZ270010547703QQihZ017QQcategoryZ42 614QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OldEnuff
07-28-2006, 02:32 AM
Why wheel spacers.................just wondering

exo_toy
07-28-2006, 08:10 AM
those wheel spacers are just so you can clear your brakes.

factor
07-28-2006, 08:37 AM
[iagree] and they seem a little expensive for what they are

jeepmog
07-28-2006, 09:35 AM
You can get those 1/4 inch spacers from Lordco if you need them. They are made by Transdapt. Fairly cheap too. I needed them for the Hummer rims to clear the calipers on mine.

I think I would try test fitting the H2 rims before getting the 2 inch spacers. They have alot less backspacing than the H1 rims, so they might fit without the spacers. The H2s have 5 inches of backspacing and the H1s have 7 inches.

EIEIO
07-28-2006, 10:22 AM
if you are trying to get the wheels sticking out look, try some offset rims, dont fuck around with wheel spacers, bearings get chewed to fuck.

Tmax
07-28-2006, 10:44 AM
any kind of wheel spacer is a no no in my books

Toyquad
07-28-2006, 10:47 AM
any kind of wheel spacer is a no no in my books

agreeed!

Chewtoy
07-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Spacers suck unless you follow them around with a torque wrench... and even then they suck.

What difference does a spacer vs an offset rim have as far as bearings are concerned?

factor
07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
i would like to know too

StinkFinger
07-28-2006, 12:13 PM
i have them in my truck and again to relive some rim caliper isues with no problems they are not even noticable

MudRam
07-28-2006, 01:37 PM
if you are trying to get the wheels sticking out look, try some offset rims, dont fuck around with wheel spacers, bearings get chewed to fuck.

Actually there is no difference in bearring wear whether you use spacers or offset rims, cus they have the same affect...moving the tire centerline out.....the ONLY advantage to using offset rims is less stress on the wheel studs, which is only an issue with spacers over 1/2" thick and tire sizes above 33-35" depending on axle size.....Ive seen spacers 2" thick, built with a double set of studs...one set to hold the spacer on, and a second set in the spacer to hold the tire on, which is totally safe, and the only way to run thick wheel spacers!!!!![cheers]

StinkFinger
07-28-2006, 01:40 PM
[iagree] im gona be running theas style in the rear of my truck and the are quite comon to run on sased toys with verry few isues

85_GMC_4x4
07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Actually there is no difference in bearring wear whether you use spacers or offset rims, cus they have the same affect...moving the tire centerline out.....the ONLY advantage to using offset rims is less stress on the wheel studs, which is only an issue with spacers over 1/2" thick and tire sizes above 33-35" depending on axle size.....Ive seen spacers 2" thick, built with a double set of studs...one set to hold the spacer on, and a second set in the spacer to hold the tire on, which is totally safe, and the only way to run thick wheel spacers!!!!![cheers]

Agreed...well except the part about the extra stress on the wheel studs. That only applies to the wheel spacers that require longer studs, not the bolt-on type.

Murd0c
07-28-2006, 06:09 PM
I have wheel spacers on all 4 corners should I do something about that?

Tmax
07-28-2006, 06:11 PM
you're fine since you don't really 4x4 your truck.
:D

Murd0c
07-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Hey give me a break here.

Ok I admit I havn't been out in a bit and it's fricken killing me.

Tmax
07-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey give me a break here.

Ok I admit I havn't been out in a bit and it's fricken killing me.

well then take the spacers off and get out there. lots to wheeling to be done.
[cheers]

Murd0c
07-28-2006, 06:23 PM
I believe I need the spacers on, why else would they be on there.

MudRam
07-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Agreed...well except the part about the extra stress on the wheel studs. That only applies to the wheel spacers that require longer studs, not the bolt-on type.

correct me if im wrong, but ive never seen wheel spacers that are store bought that are over 3/8" thick, and for a reason!!......Any spacers over a 1/2" thick could stress the studs regarless whether longer studs are needed or not, think about the shear stress, and the more stud material thats able to "strech" inside the spacer!!!! Im not talkin out of my hat!! and dont want anybody doing anything that could be potentially unsafe, or even leave them stranded in the bush somewere[cheers]also what we do with our trucks is beond the design specs of most parts like that...

Larry
07-29-2006, 01:48 PM
grind off part of your rotors, itll be ok

85_GMC_4x4
07-30-2006, 01:06 PM
correct me if im wrong, but ive never seen wheel spacers that are store bought that are over 3/8" thick, and for a reason!!......Any spacers over a 1/2" thick could stress the studs regarless whether longer studs are needed or not, think about the shear stress, and the more stud material thats able to "strech" inside the spacer!!!! Im not talkin out of my hat!! and dont want anybody doing anything that could be potentially unsafe, or even leave them stranded in the bush somewere[cheers]also what we do with our trucks is beond the design specs of most parts like that...

Ok, I'll correct you [cheers]

If you look at my post, I say it's not true for the "Bolt on type". Using a quality built bolt on spacer will not result in more stress on the studs, bearings, etc than switching to a wheel with the same backspacing would.

Have you looked at a set of bolt on spacers? Do you know the type I am refering to?

Explorer guy418
07-30-2006, 01:14 PM
jus get offset rims.

crimsen
07-30-2006, 01:29 PM
yes, a bolt on spacer will not have much more force on the original bolts than running the rim directly on them.

they will have a slightly larger tension load on them, with the centerline of the wheel moved out, making it kind of pry against itself. *in my opinion, this is not a stress which will be a major factor*

when i did read your first post tho gmc, i read "That only applies to the wheel spacers that require longer studs, not the bolt-on type" and interpreted it as with smaller spacers you will not always need longer studs, but there will be less meat to grab ahold of for the lug nuts and can cause severe problems.

re-read it and then understood. i think the same thing happened with shane.

85_GMC_4x4
07-30-2006, 05:03 PM
re-read it and then understood. i think the same thing happened with shane.

OK, guess I could have worded that better. [31]

ri0
07-30-2006, 05:35 PM
I run offset rims and 1.5 bolt on wheel spacers on my truck...I don't care if I rip through bearings every two years...I would much rather be wider and more stable, and wear out a couple bearings.

Chewtoy
07-30-2006, 06:12 PM
A friend of mine put the wide spacer type (bolt on) on a S-Blazer. It took a lot of retorqueing to get them to finally stay put, but he swears that the tires scrub with them. You can actually see pieces ripped of (imagine a cheese grater). Has anyone else noticed this? I can't explain the tread flaking off on anything else except maybe a defective tire.