PDA

View Full Version : cooling problem

Redneck_04
07-23-2006, 09:20 PM
k so heres the deal my truck is seriously pissin me off

on the highway or on the street dosent matter but ill be driving it and itll drive for about 20-30 mins and the temp goes throiugh the roof and the coolant disapears it wont draw from the overflow for some reason i put on a brand new cap cuz mt las one was shit the rad isnt clogged and the fan is working where the hell dos my coolant go

it dosent leak anywhere and i dont burnit in the exhaust so i dont think its a head gasket but i do think its a head gasket any ways let me no what u think.

its a 88 4runner with the 3.0v6

we just drove it home from the tollbooth and i went though 16 liters of water!!!!

anyways WTF???????:mad: [27]

jeeper
07-23-2006, 09:25 PM
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67546

A couple suggestions there !

Like that post ---add more info

Whats been done to the truck --fuel injected ?fan clutch? any noticible leaks ?

Redneck_04
07-23-2006, 09:39 PM
its fuel injected
no visible leaks
not a fan clutch its a belt drivin fan

jeeper
07-23-2006, 09:42 PM
soundin like a head gasket problem !

But maybe someone with more skills can come up with other stuff to look at !

Redneck_04
07-23-2006, 09:46 PM
fuck i dont want to hear that

lizard
07-23-2006, 10:02 PM
yup sounds like HG. unless your water pumps severly screwed/leaking but u see no leaks so.................

what happens if you open or run the motor without the cap? is there a geyser?

toyota had a recall on v6 HG

shockless
07-23-2006, 10:12 PM
yeah could be head gasket, is there water in the oil?

jeeper
07-23-2006, 10:22 PM
head gasket isnt tuff to change !

Just dont run it so long you screw a lot of other stuff up !

flipper
07-23-2006, 10:45 PM
If your oil cap and or dipstick show any signs of water inthe oil[grey sludge]then definatley the head gasket. If it's getting that hot in that 20-30 min period you may want to do it sooner than later.

Big_Ern
07-24-2006, 12:24 AM
3.0L V6 are known for headgasket problems. And they were covered under a factory recal, but I beleive that has run out. Worth calling up your local deal tho and having them run the VIN.

But if its going through that much coolant you should be able to notice a could of white smoke/steam coming out the exhaust as the collant gets burned up. The 3.0s typically leaked the HG into the combustion chamber, so the coolant usually doesn't mix with the oil to get the tell tale sludge/oil.

pop the rad cap (when cool) and watch for bubles once it reaches operating temps. Thats a sign of ehaust gasses getting into the cooling sytem

Also, most rads don't leak unless they are under a lot of pressure, so you won't notice any drips as you leave it over night,a nd you may not even notice anything if its just sitting there idling. Would be worth taking to a rad shop to have it pressure tested

ToyotaHEAD
07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
yes if you went though 16L and there is no sign of coolant on teh ground, it must be going out the tailpipe, and possibly some into the oil. But I would bet its goin out the tailpipe.

The headgaskets arnt really that hard to change. THere is a S*** load of vaccume lines and lil pain in the ass things that need to be taken apart b4 the upper plenum can be removed. But once that is off... SMOOTH sailing. You will have to replace both intake, exhaust gaskets as well. But what will really kick you in the junk is that the head bolts are streach bolts. NEVER REUSE STREACH BOLTS! and I am very sorry to say from Toyota they are about $18/ea. I would suggest you get some "real" bolts from a hardware store.

In The Zone
07-24-2006, 11:16 AM
did u check ur thermostat?

boiling in the block and dissapating is probally the problem...

noo external leakage and if your oil iss not fouled or your coolant with oil

then i would bet it is evaporating

typically any heating issues i will pull the theremostat then go from there
if u know the rad is not plugged and such

check for collapsing bottom hose.

good luck hope it is not your head gasket....

sparky
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
i would lay beer on the h/g .................not whatr u want to hear but from ur info it what it prop is!!!!!!![f].......[cheers]

lizard
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
check the easy shit first

gumboot
07-24-2006, 09:11 PM
make sure your water pump is still turning too, if it seized it could be causeing everything to boil a lot quicker. Normally you'd hear a squeeling belt or see the coolant dripping somewhere, but stranger things have happened. Plus if you were loosing 16L of water from the toll booth through your tailpipe, you'd think that would be a visible amount of white smoke in your exhaust.

blazerboy86
07-25-2006, 12:33 AM
your just fuked put a 305 in it dont you already have one