PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 timing chain cover

bakelite
07-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Is there supposed to be some kind of a guide or tensioner in there, if there was mine is worn out...amazed the old motor ran.[15] [cheers]

And if there is supposed to be a guide or tensioner....anyone got one in good shape??:D

Nutbar
07-23-2006, 11:19 AM
On one side of the timing chain cover there is supposed to be a plastic rubbing block attached to the cover if it is gone it is because the chain wore through it and most likely wore into the cover so in order to fix that you would need a another cover with the block on it.

No I don't have any (don't really have any 4.2 stuff around here)

It won't hurt the engine to not have the block in the timing chain cover, it won't affect it untill the timing chain wears out again.

bakelite
07-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks Mikey, there are two worn tabs where I figured it mounted, it's not worn into the housing yet so I guess I will run it as I imagine one from Chrysler will be a mint,(I'll check though) there are no 4.2's at the wreckers here. Man the timing chain was so loose on the old motor. The oil pan looked like it was half full of gravel from aluminum. [15] Still ran good...go figure lol. [cheers]