PDA

View Full Version : What to look for.....

89Ford
07-21-2006, 11:49 PM
My cousins buying a '82 i thingk it was toyota pick up off his neighbour. It looks kinda ruff but i thingk its pretty sound mechanicaly. I gunna be looking it over with him in th enext while and i was woundering if their anything you guys could give me a heads up on. Suposedly the frame is in good shape with no rust, i believe it when i see it, but im gunan be driving this thing on a few adventures seeing as he cant drive yet and i wana make sure im not driving a total POS...So anything i should look for or any advice when lookin it over would be much appriciated. He said he talked him down to like 950 bucks and the guy still drives it to work now and then so it seems like it would be a good investment.

Thanks Brian

kamloopsyota
07-22-2006, 02:00 AM
check the frame where the springs are, always rust out there, check both sides of the floor, all the mounts, and use a hammer

Pudge
07-22-2006, 08:28 AM
a grand for a running 1st gen Toyota?? if it runs decent just check the frame, cab mounts, box (ya right, lol), front body mounts, and for a grand you shouldn't expect a pristine ride.

G-rizzle Swank
07-22-2006, 11:34 AM
body mounts will be gone, ive only seen one truck ever that still had origional floors oh wait there was another and it was 2wd, and then the middle cab mounts will be gone too then, cus thats where all the salt and shit from the road sits after it comes off the wheel. e-brake most likely wont work, check for oil around the head and ask him if he ever has to fill up the rad with coolant, cus if he does then the motor will blow in a few months because the head is leaking (common problem with most toyotas) and coolant is sitting in the oil pan being washed over the bearings. you could tell him the front axle needs to be redone because of the grease comming out of the caster and then the bearings in the front end will need to be replaced, about 250$ minimum if you do it yourself, cant think of much else, im sure ern can though

gumboot
07-22-2006, 12:57 PM
body mounts will be gone, ive only seen one truck ever that still had origional floors oh wait there was another and it was 2wd,

so is this my truck you speak of that has all origional floors? cuz it does

G-rizzle Swank
07-23-2006, 02:17 PM
ok well that makes three then. all the othersi have seen were funked.

flipper
07-23-2006, 03:45 PM
If you get it,you'll probably want to pop the valve cover off and do an adjustment.Prety basic to do.

07-23-2006, 03:48 PM
I owned 3 toys a while back and 2 of them had original floors.1,well we wont talk about that one.

89Ford
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
K thanks alot guys, and my buddie just picked upa yota and its got orignial for and the cab mounts looked prety good..

G-rizzle Swank
07-24-2006, 04:52 PM
good deal

flipper
07-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Now for the build up.