PDA

View Full Version : anyone have highsteer on a first gen?

gumboot
07-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm puttin in an ifs steering box on my 83, will the stock steering colum/shaft hook up properly to the ifs box? or do I need a different one?

Big_Ern
07-21-2006, 12:40 PM
got highsteer on my '80 p/u. It all works with the stock shaft

pumpkin
07-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Ifs box bolts to the inside of the frame, yors bolts to the outside of the frame, I do believe. For crossover steering you just need a two wheel drive box of the same body style you have.

Pudge
07-21-2006, 12:52 PM
really Bob?? why does everybody go to IFS boxes then? This way sounds cheaper??

Murd0c
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
My IFS box is bolted to the outside of the frame I believe

Big_Ern
07-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Ifs box bolts to the inside of the frame, yors bolts to the outside of the frame, I do believe. For crossover steering you just need a two wheel drive box of the same body style you have.

not true for toyotas

both steering boxes (4wd IFS & SFA) bolt to the outside of the frame in close to the same location, but use a different bolt pattern.

SFA box is a push/pull type with J arm, where as the IFS is what's required for high steer.

I am not positive about the 2wd boxes, but I beleive they are a smaller version of the 4wd IFS box, but no one uses them. Pitman arms however are interchangeable between 2wd & 4wd IFS boxes.

kamloopsyota
07-21-2006, 02:39 PM
so the 2wd would just bolt on in place of the push pull???

EIEIO
07-21-2006, 02:40 PM
you guys said box. [49]

Big_Ern
07-21-2006, 02:45 PM
so the 2wd would just bolt on in place of the push pull???

no

gumboot
07-21-2006, 02:47 PM
uhhhh not quite, the SFA box has a mounting bracket that bolts to the outside of the frame and then the steering box bolts on top of the bracket. The IFS box bolts on to the outside of the frame. Got er set in place, now I gotta finish making the add on section so the third bolt hole can be used. Thanks for the help guys.

Big_Ern
07-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I just considered the bracket & box as one unit for the SFA steering box

make sure you sleeve and plate your frame as well.

You can get away without plating, but sleeving it is a must or the frame will crush when you tighten the bolts. I would plate it too for some extra strength in the area.

gumboot
07-21-2006, 08:18 PM
yeah sounds like a good idea, I was already gunna sleeve it but I think I shall find some plate to put over it too for extra strength

kamloopsyota
07-21-2006, 10:56 PM
god dam it, thought i might have had soemthign easy to do

pumpkin
07-22-2006, 08:04 AM
My mistake[27] I didn't see the toyota part[27] I was thinking Chevy

G-rizzle Swank
07-22-2006, 11:25 AM
I just considered the bracket & box as one unit for the SFA steering box

make sure you sleeve and plate your frame as well.

You can get away without plating, but sleeving it is a must or the frame will crush when you tighten the bolts. I would plate it too for some extra strength in the area.

dont you weld the bracket to the frame and then bolt the box to the bracket?

gumboot
07-22-2006, 01:02 PM
yes, but when you tighten the bolts that go through the frame, you can end up crushing the frame. So you take some tube and put it through the frame for the extra strength.

G-rizzle Swank
07-22-2006, 04:21 PM
how much torque do you put into the bolts?! to crush an 1/8" wall tube with a welded plate to the one side, would take some force. has anybody actually seen a crushed frame or done it themselves or have just taken it word for word from someone on the internet?

gumboot
07-22-2006, 04:39 PM
saw buddy in abbotsford just after i got my truck and he had highsteer. I was checkin it out and he didn't brace it or anything and his frame was pretty disformed, probably cracked somewhere under the coating but was definitely over torqued for something that wasn't braced. Seeings how the steering box fits on one side of the frame only, you'd have to either plate both sides of the frame or use sleeves to prevent this from happening.

G-rizzle Swank
07-22-2006, 06:57 PM
i think i would just plate both sides, rather that cut holes and weld tube in there, then the frame wont crack or break from the stress, ive even seen one fall off but that was a chevy frame so

gumboot
07-22-2006, 07:45 PM
well if you have sleeves running the through the frame you have no chance of crimping the frame as you'll only be able to tighten the bolts as much as the sleeves would allow. I mean you have to drill holes for the bolts anyways, why not just drill em a bit bigger so you can fit the sleeves in? that way you don't make one part of the frame more rigid than the rest by plating which can also cause cracking.

sj-x 500
07-22-2006, 08:19 PM
if you don't the frame will crack next to the box. plate it so it will spread out the forces. everyone who didn't.. had to re do it.

Big_Ern
07-22-2006, 11:53 PM
how much torque do you put into the bolts?! to crush an 1/8" wall tube with a welded plate to the one side, would take some force. has anybody actually seen a crushed frame or done it themselves or have just taken it word for word from someone on the internet?

even if it doesn't crucsh wehny ou tighten the bolts it will lossen over time if you dont'leev it