PDA

View Full Version : selectrac?

Fuzzydog
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM
just throwing this out there to see what people think about it...

my cherokee has the selectrac tcase with the full time 4wd and part time 4wd and non-disconnect axle.

So...why do I have a 2wd position? My Audi is full time all wheel drive...seems to me the full time 4wd system on the jeep would be similar (though maybe not as 'refined').

If I'm not mistaken, right now even in 2wd my front axle shafts and driveshaft are turning at pretty much the same speed as the rears (in a straight line) so why not keep the front driveshaft engaged all the time? when going around a corner, the tcase is an open diff (in the ft 4wd setting) so it compensates for different front/rear driveshaft speeds...

Can't be any more wear or loss of fuel economy because all the front drivetrain is turning anyway in 2wd, and a benefit would be splitting some of the torque away from the notoriously weak D35 rear axle.

Like I said, just throwing this out there to see what others think....

Nutbar
07-18-2006, 03:19 PM
The reason they (Jeep) do that (give you the 2wd position) is to give you a small increase in fuel mileage as you are not actually driving the frt axle but as they found out later the increase is negligable so in the V8 Grand Cherokees it is a full time 4wd tcase with part time (Full lock up) positions no 2wd selection.

Fuzzydog
07-18-2006, 04:37 PM
I was wondering about that - if any newer models had full time awd - makes sense they would go that way.

Big_Ern
07-18-2006, 04:41 PM
AWD is for station wagons & sports cars[16]