PDA

View Full Version : wtf IS that noise?

Fuzzydog
07-17-2006, 04:22 PM
90 XJ with a D35 rear

I have this freakin noise that's driving me crazy and can't isolate it. Hoping someone has heard similar and found it...

when starting and stopping - it's a hollow sounding tock noise. Not a metallic clunk like a bad ujoint (rear ujoint was new last fall) but almost a wooden sounding tock - kinda faint but definite.

I was thinking gear slop but why does it do it right when I come to a stop? - it should take up the slop as soon as I start decelerating....

I got under there last night and the rear diff seems kinda sloppy but I
ve seen much worse....
couldn't find anything else

ideas?

shockless
07-17-2006, 04:27 PM
i thaught you where putting in the 8.8?

Fuzzydog
07-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I am but just haven't got around to it yet - too many other things keep taking up my time. If there is something wrong with my d35 then i'll just have more motivation to put in the 8.8

I was kinda planning to take the ins off the jeep in the fall and drive my audi while I do all the things to the jeep such as:

8.8 rear end, taurus elect fan, long arm lift, SYE and custom driveshaft....you know, all the fun stuff...

But in the meantime, I'm going on holidays to powell river in about 3 weeks and I want to make sure I get there...

Moondog
07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Try changeing your rear diff fluid. I had a simalar problem on my 8.25 found that the fluid was no good it was making the same sort of noise as you described so i changed the fluid and put in the slip additive been fine ever since.

Fuzzydog
07-18-2006, 08:22 AM
might have solved my own problem - I was poking around under there last night and looks like my slip joint at the t case is sloppier than it used to be. I guess the 3 1/2" lift is taking it's toll. I put some weight in the back and it doesn't make the noise anymore. I'll just keep it loaded up til I get all the suspension/drivetrain work done.

bakelite
07-18-2006, 11:52 AM
When I bought my XJ, both rear springs were broken right at the front of the springs at the curl, it made a bit of noise like that when I stopped I noticed it more. Hope it's not too serious man.[cheers]

Fuzzydog
07-18-2006, 12:59 PM
hmmmm....I actually didn't check out the springs too well - although I did check the ubolts.... thanks, Joe.

I made my own bastard spring packs last year so I think they're pretty good but I will check them. thanks.

come to think of it, worn spring hanger bushings might make that noise.....but it hasn't done it since I put some weight in yesterday so might have already fixed it.

BEEF
07-18-2006, 09:33 PM
throw in a whole bottle of lucas oil staibalizer thatl shut it up.