PDA

View Full Version : Reverse lights problem

cronic 4x4
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I changed the automatic transmission in my 85 pickup for a standard gearbox from a 88 4runner and the wiring harness wont plug together so i have no reverse lights.Any ideas or suggestions on how to identify what wire in the harness I need to tie into.[stoned]

kamloopsyota
07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
could you just cut and crimp??

lizard
07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
but the reverse plug onto your 5spd , then splice that into your auto reverse wire,,

or wire a toggle switch to the manual tranny reverse plug.

cronic 4x4
07-17-2006, 08:46 PM
the problem is that i had to take the so called park safety switch that was on the automatic transmission and mount it on the inner fender next to the fuse box because it wouldent send power to the starter that works best kind howerever now you can start the truck with out pushing in the clutch. the wire that comes out of the standard gearbox has now plug end which is fine but i dont know what wire in the left over plug end on the harness is the one do i just use a test light and connect it to the one with power when you turn the key ahead

UU
07-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Yup, put it in reverse and use a test light, then wire into that one.

cronic 4x4
07-17-2006, 08:53 PM
But if i put it in reverse that has nothing to do with the gearbox i am sorry but i dont understand

cronic 4x4
07-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I am sorry but im a little confused the gearbox isent wired to anything please explain

sj-x 500
07-17-2006, 09:23 PM
yes it is. you have a switch that lines up with the shift rail for reverse.

Toy_Runner
07-17-2006, 11:15 PM
the wire comes out of the tranny right by the shifter

kamloopsyota
07-18-2006, 02:02 AM
and dont bother calling toyota cause they are useless fucks, when i called with a problem they told me i didnt hae one, even though i was looking right at it....

SilverCherry
07-18-2006, 09:11 AM
and dont bother calling toyota cause they are useless fucks, when i called with a problem they told me i didnt hae one, even though i was looking right at it....

Yea I find that to be true. Alot of people phone Toyota and then are just plain DUMB!!!!!! Wouldnt know what to do if their job depended on it.

So I have been told.....

Big_Ern
07-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't just give you an answer like that if you called me at work either. Maybe in person if you came in, but certainly not over the phone. Thats not something the mechanic would know off the top of his head, and would have to waste work time digging thru the wiring diagrams to find you a free answer when you could get an FSM and figure it out yourself. Even a haynes manul should have good enough wiring diagrams.

flipper
07-21-2006, 05:58 PM
You could always hook up a set of aux. lights on a switch,then you'll have lots of light.

johny5
07-24-2006, 07:52 PM
under the passanger seat is where the wires leave the cab , heading back to the tail lights, the wire you are looking for is red /blue , add power to that and you will have back up lights,
if your near langley i can give you the factory plug (im going auto)for the trany switch.