PDA

View Full Version : rear end question

Pudge
07-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Just a quick question. I blew my rear diff yesterday, and it is a weird one, if I put it in gear my drive shaft just spins. What did I break? I won't be able to pull it apart for a awhile, and I do have a spare 3rd. Just a little curious if this has happened to anyone, last time I blew the rear end, it just made a hell of a noise, this time it blowed up gooder, made lots of noise and den nuthing, lol.[27] [36] [cheers]

Steev
07-17-2006, 04:57 PM
what happens if you put it in 4 wheel drive?

if its an open diff and you broke a shaft or a side gearit would just spin...

I don't know much about toyota axles... but almost anything else inside should make some noise..

hilander
07-17-2006, 05:07 PM
have blowen 2 toy difs. likley you have broken teeth (a few) off of the ring gear. it will make a lot of niose and go nowhere. good luck. should only maybe an hour to swap in a new one unless there are many[31] [31] [31] [31] involved

Pudge
07-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Ya, I already done it a couple of times. I have all the stuff. I was just curious, as this time was a little different and I won't have time to do it for awhile. A friend believes I prolly snapped the pinion or something related to the pinion. It's welded and with it in gear the drive shaft just spins, lol. Was making weird noises, now it's all good .............in front wheel drive, lol.

stuckle
07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
spounds like you sheared your pinion off clean. If your welded thats the only way it could spin without making a ton of noise...