PDA

View Full Version : whats a good 4x4

MR.MIKE
07-14-2006, 04:36 PM
hi my names mike and im 15 years old. im starting to look around for a beater 4x4 that i could fix up to make a krazy wheeling machine. i was just wondering whats out there for a beginer on a budget. whats a good suv to get. (this isant a wanted add just a question)

digger
07-14-2006, 04:37 PM
try a wagon

youngun
07-14-2006, 04:38 PM
suzuki samuri

barracuda
07-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Actually i think a tracker would be a better choice, Samurais are getting very desireable so the cost for them tends to be fairly hight to stat with. I would say a tracker /sidekick would be a good choice. they have good power to weight ratio,full frame, loads of cheap parts, and they are cheap to purchase to begin with (under a grand for a good runner).
They are a really good platform to start with, that will grow with you as you get more into wheeling.

CITYSLICKER
07-14-2006, 05:14 PM
BIG---CHEVY

SMALLER---TOYOTA ....WITH CHEVY DRIVETRAIN

U ONLY 15 U GOTS LOTS OF TIME TO WORK ON IT

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!![cheers]

MR.MIKE
07-14-2006, 05:17 PM
BIG---CHEVY

SMALLER---TOYOTA ....WITH CHEVY DRIVETRAIN

U ONLY 15 U GOTS LOTS OF TIME TO WORK ON IT

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!![cheers]

i do like big chevys:D

CITYSLICKER
07-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I LIKE'EM TOOOOO!!!!! THATS WHY I GOTS ME ONE !!!!!

[36] [36] [36] [36] [36] CHEVY POWER!!!!![36] [36] [36]

C-Dog
07-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Man do i miss my Big Block Chevy what a difference from thqat to a xj it still feels weord

shockless
07-14-2006, 06:02 PM
its all personal preference, and depends what you want to do. anything can be built to be wicked. id say get something with a solid front axle though

In The Zone
07-14-2006, 06:03 PM
use your parents...

Larry
07-14-2006, 06:07 PM
man, My Truck $10,000 good deal pm me

Toy_Runner
07-14-2006, 06:21 PM
buy larrys truck, seet truck for the price, everything is new

Tmax
07-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Toyota's are excellent even in stock form and usually rule the trails. reliable and really cheap to repair.
[cheers]

UU
07-14-2006, 07:03 PM
If ya gots da know how and the patience, build what you've always wanted or you'll be pouring your money and time into something else.

waggie
07-14-2006, 07:06 PM
[36] [36] [36] [36] JEEP [36] [36] [36] [36]
[36] [36] [36] [36] [36] [36] [36] [36] [36] [36] [36] [36]

Toy_Runner
07-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Toyota's are excellent even in stock form and usually rule the trails. reliable and really cheap to repair.
[cheers]

got any idea for this

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67124

Gaelen
07-14-2006, 07:13 PM
it all depends what you want to do with it

Arnee
07-14-2006, 08:34 PM
use your parents...
[15] [15] [15]
aha i tried it didn't work

CITYSLICKER
07-14-2006, 08:43 PM
WHEN I WAS 16 I TOOK DADS TRUCK WHEELIN ...... AND A COUPLE DENTS AND SCRATCHES LATER......

O WAS HE PISSED !!!!!!!!!!!![15] [15] [15]

BC_4RUNNER
07-14-2006, 08:47 PM
[cheers]

HELL YEAH T-MAX!!!!!!!![36] [36] [36] [36]

d0ubledown
07-14-2006, 09:47 PM
[cheers]

[stupid]

...unless you just wanna go muddin'. then get whatever you can cram a big ass motor into to turn 44" boggers...usually a shebby.

ram tough
07-14-2006, 09:55 PM
i'd say dodge thats just what i like but toyota's seem to be pretty cheap and dependable

kamloopsyota
07-14-2006, 10:32 PM
or why not go for the two best, zuki body and wheelbase stretched abit on toyota running gear

bratboy
07-14-2006, 10:44 PM
just somin cheap that won't drain your pocket but let you have fun on the trails keep cool

m j
07-14-2006, 10:50 PM
get a lowered honda civic
the 4x4 thing is too expensive to get into

Lost_in_BC
07-15-2006, 12:44 AM
[36] Get a Suzuki... but we luv them big chevy's... we wave to them all the time when they are stopping for gas.... [27] snicker...

07-15-2006, 12:45 AM
i got a bronco 2 for $800

Arnee
07-15-2006, 12:53 AM
WHEN I WAS 16 I TOOK DADS TRUCK WHEELIN ...... AND A COUPLE DENTS AND SCRATCHES LATER......

O WAS HE PISSED !!!!!!!!!!!![15] [15] [15]

I wouldn't even wanna see what my dad would do if i got some scratches and dents on.
Would be fun up until i had to take it back home and he knocks me out[15]

the_balls
07-15-2006, 01:21 AM
that's the good thing about having a dad with a rugged truck who likes to wheel, he makes me do the stupid shit. i told him jumping the toyota was a bad idea and he didn't agree till he damn near got knocked out hitting the roof.

epic3
07-15-2006, 01:28 AM
for a cheep starter rig I hate to say it an older Jeep xj or yj chances of bad rot are slim solid axle lots of aftermarket parts lots of engine choices if maintained semi reliable they are a dime a dozen and don't have the stupid expence of a toy or sammi

matt spew
07-15-2006, 07:45 PM
4 runner, sami, toyta they're all right

m j
07-15-2006, 08:02 PM
for a cheep starter rig I hate to say it an older Jeep xj or yj chances of bad rot are slim solid axle lots of aftermarket parts lots of engine choices if maintained semi reliable they are a dime a dozen and don't have the stupid expence of a toy or sammi

your kidding right?
worst drivetrain ever put in a vehicle
I cannot think of anything in either of those that isnt junk

Blazerboy
07-15-2006, 08:13 PM
CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very easy to work on and very easy to find parts and there cheap:D

DirtyComanche
07-16-2006, 12:24 AM
As mentioned before, don't buy a Jeep!

Unless you want to.

If you want an easy trail rig, buy a Grand Wagoneer or a J-10 or J-20 (Actually, leave the j-trucks alone, they're mine!). Then trim the fenders as far as you can, perhaps go spring over in the front and bastardize some springs for the rear, run 36's and call it good.

But, if you're a Yuppy Jeep (YJ) type of guy, you're gonna have some fun if you want to go bigger than 30's. There's some cherokees (XJ) that are alright, and comanches (MJ). Those would be the ones with the 4.0 I6, AW4 or AX-15, and the D44 rear end. All the others ones need axle swaps to even run 31s... Oh, and CJs have lots of crappy parts too! So don't think they're easy..

Personally, I'd get some crappy solid axle toyota truck and bastardize a lift and trim some fenders. But, I've never done that. I've just played with stupid Jeeps! Also depends how hardcore you want to go...

epic3
07-16-2006, 02:16 AM
your kidding right?
worst drivetrain ever put in a vehicle
I cannot think of anything in either of those that isnt junk
Say ya got a 1000 bucks or less and wanna wheel what ya gonna do any solid axle toy rotten frame or not is 2000 and up and sammi same is 2000 and up chev or ford is well same shit as Jeep but way more to run and scouts are far to rare so who cares if they are crap they are capable for cheap and don't put any more than a 33' tire on em and all is good.
MJ ya gotta look at it from a disposable easily replaceable cheap starter rig and I despise Jeeps as much as you do but recognise the fact not everybody has your disposable income

shockless
07-16-2006, 10:08 AM
i hate to say it but a chevy is the cheapest and easiest to build since so many people have them and everyone who has one has a plethora of chevy shit everywhere so if you want something cheap and easy to build (then sell later on to get a nice truck) then buy a chev

Explorer guy418
07-16-2006, 11:17 AM
JEEP, 87 yj, just do a spoa and a body lift and u can run 35s.

Bronc Ho
07-16-2006, 12:17 PM
bronco

Jroc
07-16-2006, 12:18 PM
bronco

[stupid]

muddy mud skipper
07-16-2006, 01:09 PM
hell yeah for broncos[36]

Chev4.3
07-16-2006, 01:48 PM
just buy larrys truck its a nice big truck

MR.MIKE
07-16-2006, 02:44 PM
my dads friend has a (i think)76 gmc jimmy with 35"s it has like a 7 inch lift 3/4 ton axels locked r and i think f with a 350 on propane but it has rust i really want it but he want back what he paid for it (wich isant that much) so im gonna try to save up for it (i just hope it dosent kill me in gas)

gumboot
07-16-2006, 03:48 PM
man, if ya want a toyota ya gotta know how to weld cuz you will be replacing rusty spot sooner or latewr and you don't wanna be apyin someone else to do that for you. Jeeps........what can I say that hasn't already been said about them before. Don't bother, there are tons of em around yet everything I see for Jeeps is still over priced even used parts. Chev's and Fords are gonna guzzle your gas funds quickly and are basically good for mud and not much else unless you wanna sink a lot more money into em. If you're looking for something cheap and wheelable right off the bat, I would say sammy(or tracker and sideflip) or a toy, just make sure you go over the entire vehicle looking for rust. Once it starts, it won't stop. Basically the frame is your biggest worry, look in all the holes in the frame and look for areas that are full of dirt and crap. That's where it will rust first because all the dirt will hold moisture and cause rot. Find a good clean frame with no patches and no packs of mud inside them and you'll have a great rig to start with. Just make sure to practice your welding skills in the meantime. Sooner or later no matter what ya drive, it'll need welding at some point.

fourplay
07-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Pick up a cheap XJ, go to pick a part, theres 2 rows of em and parts are cheap, they handle well, good flex and easy to lift.. throw a spool in the reatr and you can go pretty much anywhere.. then when you grow up, and can afford it, I'd recommend and full size chevy or full size jimmy or blazer.. older tho so you don't have that independant suspension crap up front.. lift the fuck out of it, then spend yer days yanking people out of holes all day, lol... It all comes down to your personel preferance.. I've seen wicked jeeps, yotas, bronco, chevys, etc.. it all about your balls and budget..

Better yet, go to an event and see if you can ride bitch seat in a few different rigs and decide from there.. Im sure someone will take ya for a rip. As for taking one for a test drive, bring yer dads platinum card, lmao..[36]

[36]
That B2 for $800 Mikes selling would be a great starter, solid front end, cheap to do a small lift to fit 33's, and fairly nimble in the trails..
[cheers]

jeeper
07-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Im a jeep guy but i have to Agree with Kyle on this one !

But for different reasons !

By a cheap tracker //or whatever those things are called

DONT spend any money on doing modifications to it ---and I repeat dont spend any money doing modifications on it !

Just use it to get yourself out wheelin ! Go experiance the fun of doing it and at the same time see what everyone else is drivin !

Onse youve been out a bunch of times then decide for yourself what you like and start building it ! Youlle still have a relliable basic vehichle for getting out while building what you really want !

So good luck and have fun !

MR.MIKE
07-16-2006, 08:27 PM
a tracker or sidkick sounds like a good idea

Dragon4x4
07-16-2006, 10:21 PM
I say get a Toy lol cus there fun as shit and you can get some nice sized tires under them stock. Also they are Very cheep to lift if you are mechaincaly inclined and you dont need a 8" lift to fit a 35" Tires on them either 3" body lift and a tiny tiny tiny bit of fender trimming and you can roll on 35's no problem

thats my 2cents

Blazerboy
07-16-2006, 10:24 PM
you can run 35's with tiny tiny tiny bit of trimming on stock chevy half ton

SBC hris
07-16-2006, 11:44 PM
until you try to turn a corner.[15] 33's on 3/4 ton chev, decent trimming, depending on the year i guess.

Toy_Runner
07-16-2006, 11:46 PM
you can run 35's with tiny tiny tiny bit of trimming on stock chevy half ton

we fit 33's on chev4.3's truck stock and had to trim the bumper no way 35's would fit

DirtyComanche
07-16-2006, 11:47 PM
a tracker or sidkick sounds like a good idea

Do you like the colour pink, by any chance?

[f]

No, good choice. Happy hunting for one.

highwaystar
07-17-2006, 01:13 AM
I agree with the guy who said buy a civic.
Getting into off roading is the stupidest thing you can do. no off roader is ever completely satisfied with their truck. its always something needs beefing up then something else and man i could use another 2" or so of clearance then your girl leaves you but your too busy thinking of that trail you drove past on the way home where does it go????:confused: then you get fired for staring at your truck out the window while customers are lined up cuz your thinking about where to put that rack to hold your hi lift + shovel you dont notice them. then you end up pawning everything you own like a crackhead just to put new tires on your truck cuz theyre bald. then your broke but you go wheeling anyways and grenade something. then you have a great day out wheeling and it makes it seem worthwhile preventing you from ever smartening up and going into 4x4 rehab.

I love this hobby.

yota for all around reliable exploring
fullsize domestic for mud / getting trailer park girls
zuk for technical trails on coast
jeep for picking up groceries + kids from school

:D jk

Chev4.3
07-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Getting into off roading is the stupidest thing you can do. no off roader is ever completely satisfied with their truck. its always something needs beefing up then something else and man i could use another 2" or so of clearance then your girl leaves you but your too busy thinking of that trail you drove past on the way home where does it go????:confused: then you get fired for staring at your truck out the window while customers are lined up cuz your thinking about where to put that rack to hold your hi lift + shovel you dont notice them. then you end up pawning everything you own like a crackhead just to put new tires on your truck cuz theyre bald. then your broke but you go wheeling anyways and grenade something. then you have a great day out wheeling and it makes it seem worthwhile preventing you from ever smartening up and going into 4x4 rehab.

I love this hobby.

yea defently man thats awesome ya thats about all a jeep could ever be used for

Arnee
07-17-2006, 02:38 AM
I say get a Toy lol cus there fun as shit and you can get some nice sized tires under them stock. Also they are Very cheep to lift if you are mechaincaly inclined and you dont need a 8" lift to fit a 35" Tires on them either 3" body lift and a tiny tiny tiny bit of fender trimming and you can roll on 35's no problem

thats my 2cents

[16] [16]
Its already hard enough to find a good toy don't tell him to go look for one to [15] [15]

CITYSLICKER
07-17-2006, 11:05 AM
we fit 33's on chev4.3's truck stock and had to trim the bumper no way 35's would fit

MY LAST CHEV '86 3/4 TON ---I PUT 4" BLOCKS IN THE BACK CUT THE FENDERS AND RAN 38" TSL SX !!!! WITH LOTS OF ROOM FOR FLEX[36] [36]

Gaelen
07-17-2006, 01:17 PM

I love this hobby.

and my nissan would fit in where?

highwaystar
07-17-2006, 01:40 PM
nissan fits in as overlooked gem!
[36]

Im kinda lookin for a good older one myself:cool:

fordcarnage
07-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Buy an old chev blazer w/ a 350 in it theres miillions of parts out there for them and their pretty decent in price

Dreded
07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
iv always been a huge fan of BroncoII's

Squishy
07-20-2006, 07:21 PM
id personally stay away from a fullsize, ill never own one for 4x4ing again, wouldnt mind one for trips/towing but not as a 4x4

Fritschinator
07-20-2006, 11:37 PM
f 250 are always cheap and tuff and tons of parts at pick a part for them

watty
07-22-2006, 07:01 AM

I love this hobby.

4x4 rehab......... bunch of wheelers gettin together tellin stories!
count me in ( as long as i can bring beer)[31] [cheers]

Big Mitch
07-25-2006, 08:52 PM
toyotas are good 4x4

Dreded
07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
How Long is a piece of String? [f]