PDA

View Full Version : powertrax lockers????

bogealot
07-13-2006, 05:45 PM
I have a jeep with a 8.8 and would like some added traction as i have a open diff 8.8....I think that true locker is to rough for the amount of offroad use i do.. I know they are not a full locker design but i have heard they are far superior than a limited slip locker as there are no clutch packs to wear out...I dont think that i could handle a detroit, as i heard they are noise and clunky.... how strong are the powertrax....the main reason that these seem more appealing to me is the easy of instillation and for the price....i know alot of you hard core guys will most likely jump all over this, but keep in mind that I am not that hard core of a wheeler and am just looking for that added traction for the occasonal hill climb or muddy slippery situations....what are you guys 0.2 cents....

Nutbar
07-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I would never put a Lockrite (Powertrax) in a rear end everyone I have put in a rear diff has come back with problems and if it is the noise you are worried about the Lockrites are noisier than a true Detroit, a Detroit actually disengages when you go around a corner a lockrite ratchets when you corner.

bogealot
07-13-2006, 06:28 PM
really....well you would know..there web site states different but like you said evryone you have done has come back......what are the prices like on a detroit for the 8.8...and do you have to set up the ring and pinon gears...

In The Zone
07-20-2006, 12:47 PM
i put a detroit in my 8.8 from randys ring and pinion for 560.00 us

they also included the master install kit.. and if u are using the same gears u will still need to set em up being that u are not using the same carrier..

took me 1.5 hrs total that included changing all seals and bearings.....
i love the detroit it is there when u neeed it and stillallows cornering normally... well unless u are walking onit then she will lock up with a good bang .......... but that is fun to...

redman
07-20-2006, 12:48 PM
i have a detroit ask anyone you dont even know its there and i never hear it unless im intentionally showing it off

bakelite
07-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Just ordered a Detroit for my 8.8...amongst a whole lot of other things...[15]

I need to win the lottery real quick. :eek:

Leithmc
07-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I have a locrite in my D44. Ya it ratchets for sure in the corners, but it's never let me down. And yes I've used it.

Leith