PDA

View Full Version : Detroit locker

bakelite
07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
If I put the locker in the 8.8 do I need the carrier, the wrecker guy says no but I wanted to check.[cheers]

Nutbar
07-13-2006, 11:55 AM
A Detroit locker is the full carrier if you buy a Lockrite or similar you need an open case carrier.

bakelite
07-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Cool, thanks Mikey, just going in to pick up the rear end and wanted to make sure. You tha man. [cheers]

bogealot
07-13-2006, 01:59 PM
when i put a 8.8 in the rear i was told to buy the non limited slip diff if I plan on buying a rear locker as it would be cheaper....now having said what you did about a lock rite locker.....what is the best locker to go with...i drive the heep everyday on the street and usually take it out 4 times a month for some soft core wheeling, as its not very capable.....and what effects will a locker have on the rear end as i to have a heavy foot

In The Zone
07-13-2006, 02:09 PM
lok rite aint a real locker......

if u decide to put a real detroit in it will snap hard every time u walk on it specially round corners when u straighten out...

bakelite
07-13-2006, 02:38 PM
What would be the difference, Detroit Locker or Detroit EZ locker? Keeping in mind I have to do a lot of road miles.
I guess it would be best to put the spring perches on the bottom of the diff and run springs under axle like the front?

Just picked up the 8.8 outta a 93 Explorer, drums well okay. Sold it to me empty, cheaper, stuff I don't need anyway. Motor should be here Monday....hopefully. [36]

In The Zone
07-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Nice to here Joe...

depend on where u want to go

lots o miles wont hurt the detroit as long as your fluids are good...

make sure u double check your spline count and give the year of your 8.8

they changed the axle shaft lenghts in the fullwidth in 97.. when they went metric...

bakelite
07-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks, just kinda worried about behaviour on the highway in the winter, I guess I can get used to how it behaves and drive accordingly. So the Detroit over the EZ Detroit for off road capability? Be so great to actually not to have to worry everytime I go wheeling and to be explore more difficult areas I can't know. I got a good winch too now so once this is all done I'm good to go.[36]

In The Zone
07-13-2006, 03:04 PM
yup i learned with a welded rear so the detoit is a cake walk u just have to know your rig and it s reaction to the detroit.. when she engages it wont let ya down...

i had no problems in the snow just go easy on sidehills