PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it??

beeker
07-08-2006, 10:27 PM
i have a 94 yj 4cyl 5 spd and im looking to upgrade i have a line on a good running 86(ish) waggy 360 pretty sure dana 44's tow package i can get it for cheap wondering if its worth swapping in the drivetrain or some of it? like motor axles dunno bout the transfercase tho anybody know if they came with dana 60's in them???? when i looked under, the axles looked huge i was also thinking doing the 350 dana 44 combo but all depends on price thanks for the help[cheers]

DirtyComanche
07-08-2006, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't take the whole drivetran, well, maybe. Some of them had weird tcases. Also, so had an oddball front axle with a vacuum actuated disconnect cast into the pumpkin. Very weird stuff... But the trannys are strong, and the 360 is a decent engine (if you don't mind 12mpg).

Oh, even the AMC 20 rear that they came with are actually decently strong. No two-peice shafts. They could use some trussing though.

But if it has two D44s (and no oddness) grab it just for that, and sell the rest off. Or swap.

J20
07-09-2006, 02:29 PM
if it was me id keep the yj for a DD and turn the waggie into a bush truck you can do a spring over run some 35s buck the roof off no doors......and you got your self a cool bush rig.[36] .............but i like the full size jeeps so i guess im biased......

beeker
07-09-2006, 11:24 PM
i put in a new motor and it still failed aircare same readings as my last motor now i have a cluck when i drive anything over 25 k;s i think its a rear u joint but have only quickly looked into it just considering what i wanna do with it at the moment im just frustrated at the moment thought about a quick sale of it as well just to loose the headache its causing me