PDA

View Full Version : What is high steer?

Arnee
07-08-2006, 03:16 PM
On monday i'm going to look at a yota on 35's and it says its got high steer.
This would be my first truck so therefore i don't know awhole lot about trucks
So WHAT is high steer?

In The Zone
07-08-2006, 03:20 PM
your draglink and tierod are both attached to arms on top of the Knuckle NOT the oem location....

if just the draglink is then it is crossover

good luck

Arnee
07-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Ok so what does it do ?
And high steer is usually just in lifted trucks ? because my uncle and my dad didn't know wat it was and there not dumb when it comes to trucks and such.
I'm going off the asomtion that "High" steer would be for bigger trucks with fairly big lifts.

Tsunami
07-08-2006, 03:38 PM
From what i've been told is it helps with getting rid of bumpsteer and it also puts all the steering linkage above the leafsprings to help keep it away from rocks The crossover you still have the draglink in front of the diff which is damn near the center of harms way.Hope that helps

Arnee
07-08-2006, 03:41 PM
yea that helps alot uhh theres no way i can get the draglink out of harms way without puttin a bodylift in is there ?
Just read this over again i didn't mean to sound sarcastic in this reponse

trevyota
07-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Crossover (highsteer) steering systems replace the factory push-pull system eliminating about 90% of bump-steer. With high steer crossover steering, the tie rod is moved up above the leaf springs. This places the rod out of the way of most trail obstacles and provides a clean factory look

marlin....

In The Zone
07-08-2006, 03:55 PM
thisis what it looks like on a ford

trevyota
07-08-2006, 03:56 PM
so instead of this...

http://www.marlincrawler.com/images/marlink_200.jpg

you'll have this......

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/kiyul4130/4111.jpg

Arnee
07-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks alot guys
damm those are some nice yota's

tenpack
07-08-2006, 06:39 PM
ask what company the arms are. OTT, sky, all pro are all good toy brands.

stuckle
07-08-2006, 06:47 PM
sky sucks... they dont make there own arms, there just a warehouse. all pro dosent make there own arms either, they get them made in mexico. OTT makes there own arms in there teeny tiny machine shop on mitchel island in richmond. I would go through them. Even if they are a little more expensive they are stronger and its definatly worth it

plus their canadian[36]

trevyota
07-08-2006, 07:58 PM
let's not forget there already part of the package.....

let's wait and see if he buy's it before we tell him what to fix....

tenpack
07-08-2006, 08:27 PM
sky sucks... they dont make there own arms, there just a warehouse. all pro dosent make there own arms either, they get them made in mexico. OTT makes there own arms in there teeny tiny machine shop on mitchel island in richmond. I would go through them. Even if they are a little more expensive they are stronger and its definatly worth it

plus their canadian[36]

i thought only all pros leaf springs were made in mexico, they had quality issues so went back to the states? and sky's look fine, and they arent too badly priced.

Explorer guy418
07-08-2006, 08:59 PM
u get better flex with high steer?

kamloopsyota
07-08-2006, 11:11 PM
so im guessin you have to have p/s for it then, cause the yota has push pull??

exo_toy
07-08-2006, 11:39 PM
why does sky suck because they don't make their own arms?
Does it matter where they are made? Its all about trail proven strength.

stuckle
07-08-2006, 11:42 PM
i didnt say they sucked

i said buy the ott arms cause there better

dontr worry... i have 1 sky arm and 1 ott arm... we will see what fucks up first

suport the canadian company and buy the ott ones[cheers]

stuckle
07-08-2006, 11:43 PM
u get better flex with high steer?

no no no

just dont havre a chance of smashing your tie rod into things and pretzeling it... keeps it out of the way

exo_toy
07-08-2006, 11:46 PM

plus their canadian[36]

stuckle
07-08-2006, 11:53 PM
you knoew what i mean

the quality isnt assured all they do is put them in a box and ship them

ott makes everything in house and their quality is second to none

Arnee
07-09-2006, 02:29 AM
let's not forget there already part of the package.....

let's wait and see if he buy's it before we tell him what to fix....

[15] yea i've barely got the money to pay for it so not alot will be done right away if i get it.

speaking of money [32] is there any body that knows of any job openings around maple ridge would be my first job preferrably somethin to do wiht my hand don't like sitting on computers and not really that great wiht math.
and it would be awesome if it was more than minumun wage

trevyota
07-09-2006, 10:12 AM
so im guessin you have to have p/s for it then, cause the yota has push pull??

you usually mount the IFS steering box if it's an 85 or older.....

trevyota
07-09-2006, 10:14 AM
is there any body that knows of any job openings around maple ridge would be my first job preferrably somethin to do wiht my hand don't like sitting on computers and not really that great wiht math.
and it would be awesome if it was more than minumun wage

[32]

G-rizzle Swank
07-09-2006, 10:31 AM
you usually mount the IFS steering box if it's an 85 or older.....

uuuuh dont you have to have the ifs steering box to make it work? on any yota? because of the way the ifs box compares to the older style

trevyota
07-09-2006, 10:49 AM
yah...

that's what i was saying...
sorry for the "usually"

it should have been an always.

Dragon4x4
07-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Pretty much High steer is just better all your arms are out of the way of danger, and it makes the truck Much more worthy to talk about lol... [cheers]