PDA

View Full Version : YJ front diff upgrade help

bakelite
07-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I am getting the motor done on my 89YJ(4.2L 5 spd) next week and I want to do some other stuff to make it more trail worthy. I don't like the idea of no locking hubs but it's a lot of money for the hub conversion then you still have a kinda wimpy front end. What would be the easiest front end to swap in that has hubs and the same width, bolt pattern, steering stuff...I want to start collecting parts to do this, just don't know what I need. Thanks. [cheers]

In The Zone
07-08-2006, 09:49 AM
i will be doing the same Joe to Natasha's yj

but i will go full width hp44 front 8.8 or 9" in the back

bakelite
07-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Ford diffs?...how much wider are they and what would you have to change on them, I have some jeep lift springs I want to use.

B
07-08-2006, 10:06 AM
what size tire are u gonna run on it joe? ....trail rig or just a out to the fishinhole shit ? as long as ur running 33s and open in the front i wouldn't touch it ,except they make a cable setup to replace the vacum shit ... the rear w the c clip axles is what to worrie about ... 8.8 out of an exploder bolts in its just abot 1.5 " narrower than what u got now ... evs got one in his so does warload and they take the abuse plus disks on the rear if its an eddie bouar edition put ur locker in that and just use the front as needed .. oh and they gots 4:10s to .... then at least ur 3 wheel drive add cheap winch and ull play forever besides dana 30 parts are cheap and everware ... just my 2c as the front swaps are never cheap ... dana 44 out of a waggoneer ,wrong bolt pattern plus all the steering shit ... wait a min... u could do ur toy axles front and rear if u never got reggie for that thing [5][5][5][5]... meh have fun beat it hard :D

bakelite
07-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Well I basically want everything lol. I need something that I can get into places I can't now, but it still needs to be not bad on the highway so I can get down to wheel with you guys. I was gonna run 33's and lower gears, locked rear. I was thinking about running the stock front end open like you say and maybe I should. I don't have a lot of cash right now. I dunno what the motor is gonna cost me, my luck a lot lol. Good advice, I appreciate it. Any year explorer I should be looking for in particular?
I wish I knew more, gotta learn eh? Glad to have you guys to ask my dumb questions of.

B
07-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Well I basically want everything lol. I need something that I can get into places I can't now, but it still needs to be not bad on the highway so I can get down to wheel with you guys. I was gonna run 33's and lower gears, locked rear. I was thinking about running the stock front end open like you say and maybe I should. I don't have a lot of cash right now. I dunno what the motor is gonna cost me, my luck a lot lol. Good advice, I appreciate it. Any year explorer I should be looking for in particular?
I wish I knew more, gotta learn eh? Glad to have you guys to ask my dumb questions of.

:D.... 91 and up i belive for the rear end ... all 4cyl yjs come with 4:10s stock so finding that ring gear or complete fronts is no problem think ive got one put away still that u can have ... the other thing u need to do is disconect the computer from that carb on those things i can get u the wiring diagram on how to do it it will blow mind how much better it will run w/o all the emmissions shit trying to run that carb w its single injector or pm matt on the board he has done thousands of these ... evs been 4 years on 36's w the dana 30 open and pretty much carnage free just useing it to get out of trouble or into it:D gooder luck bro [cheers] [36] [36]

bakelite
07-08-2006, 05:05 PM
thanks bro, I know about the nutter bypass, it's already been done on this one, I found out when I went to do it lol. Cool about the diff that would be great, save me buying one gearset [36] Hope the motor ain't too messed up but I told the guy, mechanic, I want a new motor, no patch jobs, something dependable and NEW. Pretty excited, actually gonna finish a project..er start one I guess they never finished...[cheers]

bakelite
07-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Well the Jeep is in the shop, the mechanic seemed pretty perplexed when I told him how is was behaving motorwise lol. Blew a front axle u-joint at work this morning before I took it in[15] ....they look like they never been greased, ordered some new ones with grease fittings. Got the wreckers looking for an Explorer rear end, the one you said bro, hope they can find me one or even a drum brake one. Can I run the Jeep springs with the Explorer rear end?...any changes I have to make with it? Run spacers for the rear wheels or does it matter much? :) [cheers]

bakelite
07-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Mechanic phoned...motor fuckered...oh well.[27] Getting a rebuilt from Canada Engines.

shockless
07-11-2006, 08:29 AM
yo joe, if you want disk i think its 96+. i pulled one from a 95 for fuzzydog on here, and it was 3.73s. limited slip, and drum brake. 96 they went to disk. the axle was $115 i think from pick and pull

bakelite
07-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks, jeez I got told yesterday from one of the local wreckers 5 or 6 hundred for a 91. I really don't much care if it's drum or disc, would like 4:10 but I can change the gearing if I have to. Wish there was a pick a part around here, used parts are big bucks here. [27]

bakelite
07-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Went and looked at the 5 or 6 hun rear end, buryed in the mud, rusted to hell, no cover on it...went to Williams lake..91 to 95 drums - 795 with high gears, a grand if they get one in for me with 4:11's....jeez...are these rear ends worth that much?? [27]