PDA

View Full Version : What tires to go with for the okanagan

Rx7_Rudy
07-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I am looking to get a set of tires for my lifted 84 pickup. I Mosty crawl around on rocks, but i do enjoy a good romp through the mud up postil. I would like to run a 35-37 by around 12.5. I was leaning towards the 37X12.5 MTR. But i have also been considering either the TSL's Or Boggers. Although i think the boggers would just bog down the little 22r. What do you guys think??
Also i have been told that with the rear axle that is in it, the suspension will bottem with the tires on the frame. So i am considering since i have to patch the frame that i might just replace the complete back half of the frame with the back half of a nissan 720 i have. It is 2 inches smaller in width. Would this cure the problem?

Thanks, Mike

mud boy
07-02-2006, 08:28 PM
im thinkin about goin for MT Claws or MT MTZ's

Rx7_Rudy
07-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I am against Mickey Thompson since i had one blow a sidewall on my drag car. But i had also heard they clog up easy?

shockless
07-02-2006, 09:11 PM
boggers, or tsl, probly tsl if its a dd

sj-x 500
07-02-2006, 09:31 PM
i ran claws for a long fuckin time, all highway miles to and from kelowna, finally blew a tire when i was a full street pressure and hit a tire killer on a stump i was stuck on... only a bogger or a tsl sx would have survived

exo_toy
07-02-2006, 10:10 PM
i used to run 36 swampers but then I changed to 37 MT/R's.

The swampers were great offroad but were just not practical for daily driving from winfield to kelowna.

I am happy with the goodyears both on and off road. Being a radial, they are quiet and balance easy.

Plus I expect them to last alot longer than the swampers would have on the street.

As for toughness, you cant beat a Bias Ply tire. The question is whether its practical or not for your application.

If you want the look of the bogger, but driveability on the street, maybe consider the M/T Claw radial. Same as the Bias Claw, but with a little smaller lugs.

Xterrains are also a decent tire, my brother runs 35's on his sammy and he likes them so far.

exo_toy
07-02-2006, 10:21 PM
oh and as for the tire rub when flexing, There are a few options.
You can get a newer toyota rear axle (early 90's I believe) they are 3" wider
Or Just get a set of 1.5" wheelspacers. Like $125 or something like that.

If you are gonna go through all the the trouble of splicing on a new backhalf, (it sux we just did one) You might as well go nuts with the rear and 4 link it all at the same time. Or have a shop do it for ya (hint hint)

ri0
07-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I agree with 86 toy....you want a wide track rear axel..86 and up all come with the wide track...4runners and the p/u all have the same axel housing and shafts

ri0
07-02-2006, 10:57 PM
mtr's are a great tires, this is my second set loved them so much...I am looking at the iroc's right now..but I donno what they would be like as a DD

Rx7_Rudy
07-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I was actually also looking at iroks too. They seem to be of a similar tread design of the mtr but you can get them in a bias ply form(although i had read they wear extremely fast.

I also live out on the winfield side of glenmore road and i would need to dd my truck to the collage and back everyday, which made me lean towards the mtr. 86Toy, is your truck the green exo'd toy i see drive past my house all the time?

I had actually considered going with a full 4 link in the back just because i already have already installed one in my drag car and that took about one week from start to finish. Granted a truck style 4 like might be a little differnt. If i do go the linked route, would it be better to go with a 4 link or 3 link? Also what is a good length for the arms? I have an extra 4 link set with 25" arms but i was thinking that was lacking a little in length. I just seemed alot cost effective to just slap some 63" chevys on er and call it a day. Also, does the newer wider rear end still have the same gears?

Mike

exo_toy
07-03-2006, 05:40 PM
ya thats my green 4runner.

In my opinion, a triangulated 4 link is best. I built one for my sonoma on airbags.

That way it eliminates the need for a panhard bar. However, the gas tank can get in the way sometimes.

As for the IROK's. They are made of a very soft compound and do wear fast on the street.

Toyquad
07-03-2006, 06:49 PM
the third memebers are interchangable between the newer 86 and up and the older.... 85 and down ....... so just buy a newer rear diff and swap your third member into it

Dragon4x4
07-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Well what i say to guys when there lookin for tires if you plan of runnin your truck on the street get the 35" MTR (Or 37" if you got gears or a dual case) you will get more life out of them, and if your going to keep it mostly to the gravel and off road shit i would just get a set of 36" swampers, kinda im the middle of the 2 and way better traction in mud and shit and still very nice on the rocks when aired down... IMO

Colin[36]

highwaystar
07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I may not be as hardcore but the best was your average bfg mud terrain. I also liked my big o xts but the belts seperated, and i have swampers now and the rocks just take chunks out of them plus they suck on slippery clay climbs. I am gonna stick to XT or MTs from here on in

crazy j
07-06-2006, 05:10 PM
i have both 35' bias claws and boggers for my yota.
i would never buy boggers again for this type of truck, in fact the only reason i can think of that i would ever buy boggers for anything would be a street legal alternative to tractor tires.
ive been really impressed with the claws especially on the rocks and they would only be outperfomed by the boggers in straight line slimy mud.
my 2cents