PDA

View Full Version : Idle

ToyotaHEAD
06-29-2006, 08:44 AM
On the newer EFI systems the idle has a controller on it. So that the ECU will controll and continouly adjust the idle speed.

Now I havent even had a chance to look at this problem yet. But my idle is though the roof. Like 1200rpm. I suspect it is this idle "thing" I mentioned above. When the engine is started cold it idles at about 1600rpm, and slowly comes down to 1200rpm when hot. (So to me it sounds like metered air is getting by the throttle body.) The first time this happened it was late at night. So when I went to check it out the next day, it was fine???? Now this, the second time, even after letting it sit overnight it still has the problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem before. These engines (3.4L V6) are found in 96' and newer Tacoma, T100's, 4Runners.... Later today after it has cooled down a little, I am gonna poke around and see whats what.

G-rizzle Swank
06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
could you spray starting fluid around the throttle body to see if there indeed is a leak and not just a faulty idler control?

Big_Ern
06-30-2006, 01:54 AM
is the no idle adjustment screw on those newer motors?

ToyotaHEAD
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
is the no idle adjustment screw on those newer motors?

Ya know... I have never ever looked! :confused: :confused: :confused: It has always just "auto" adjusted the idle itself.

**UPDATE** Just like before it corrected itself again??? This makes me more and more inclinded to think this idle control is faulty/dirty. I didnt find any sign of a leak, spray tested. If the idle control isnt hooped, it must be the ECU telling it to idle up. Then the question comes up... why. LOL I will keep you posted.