PDA

View Full Version : 4 point harness

YJ
06-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Does anyone know what the rules or regs are on 4 points? Are they DOT or MVA approved? Street legal?

waggie
06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Aftermarket "race" seat belt harnesses are not DOT approved thus are not street legal. Even though they may be safer (if properly installed and achored) if you are pulled over, you might get a ticket. I've got them in my mustang that I've raced and when I would go for a drive where I'd be carving corners, I wore the 5 point but also put the factory belt on as well. even though in this situation it wouldnt do anything. If you are going to put a race type harness in, and use it.... make sure the mounting points are good (reinforced if you are mounting strait to sheet metal) and that the shoulder straps are mounted fairly high (preferably just below shoulder level). If its mounted too low and you are in an accident, it can crush you, doing more harm than good.

ps: if you want some mounting info let me know and I'll send it to you

mini
06-29-2006, 09:49 PM
[stupid] i can also get you or tell you how to mount your belts. the worst thing about it is that they are usless unless installed properly.