PDA

View Full Version : Wheelin' hard on GM ignition module?

jeepmog
06-26-2006, 06:03 PM
I had an ignition module go out on me on Sunday. I had replaced it last year. The only thing that I can figure is that the bouncing and jarring from wheeling kills these things. I had been out at Norrish Creek the day before and the gravel road is quite potholed on the way up.

It is in a Jeep, but I don't think that would curse it.

It is a 1989 GM TBI 350 and I replaced it with a Niehoff brand replacement from Lordco. I wanted to try a different brand as this was the same as the last one, but that was all they had.

I figure that I am going to have to carry a spare as this leaves you dead in the water if this ever goes on the trail.

Anyone have an experience like this before?

sparky
06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
heat!!!!!!!!!! is ahuge killer of those things make sure u use the silicone they give u with it and apply it liberly....[f]....[stoned]

stuckle
06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
all that kills them is heat

use the proper heat sink silicon shit like he said and make sure its on the distributor tight to heat sink as best it can. Best idea is to carry a spare in the glove box... these go all the time

i had one go last year... so i carry a spare now

pumpkin
06-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Aftermarket ignition stuff is crap. I put three new modules in my truck in one year. Then I got smart, got a GM one from the wreckers, no problem since.

Nutbar
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Aftermarket ignition stuff is crap. I put three new modules in my truck in one year. Then I got smart, got a GM one from the wreckers, no problem since.

[iagree] The after market ones are not nearly as good as the OEM stuff there so just pack a spare one or two

little laker
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
If yours is like mine was I'd just carry a full distributer with me, I had something in my distributer base it's self burn out and got stranded as a result.
Good thing that it was in a parking lot and not in the middle of nowhere.

jeepmog
06-27-2006, 05:54 PM
I used the grease when I initially installed it. Each new module comes with a tube of grease.

It could be a temperature thing, but I haven't had an issue with it overheating. I guess I could add some hood louvers to get rid of the underhood heat.

I am thinking that the quality of these ones is not as good as OEM. I am going to get one to have as a spare. What is the going rate for one at the GM dealer?

jeeper
06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Are they the same as the ford style ones -I just put a new one in and I think its toast already ! ( I think my jeep one is a ford style)

pumpkin
06-27-2006, 06:19 PM
When we used to run a Ford, I mounted two mudules side by each. When one goes you just plug in the other. And again,,, I got dealer parts from mthe wreckers, cheeper, better.

boyzen
06-27-2006, 10:45 PM
[stupid]

ottoman
06-28-2006, 11:58 AM
[quote=sparky]heat!!!!!!!!!! is ahuge killer of those things make sure u use the silicone they give u with it and apply it liberly....[f]...

[stupid]

Dieseljeep
06-28-2006, 12:30 PM
I use a better quality of die electric grease it diapates the heat much faster it is called DC-4 (made by dow corning for aviation use)runs much cooler .
I have also piggy backed them together when one packs it in ,use the other .

Most aftermarket stuff like Niehoff is reasonable at best,Some brand like Borg Warner are better or GP Soreson is ok too. I prefer the factory,stuuf which could very well be made one of the above.

dentedup
07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I used the grease when I initially installed it. Each new module comes with a tube of grease.

It could be a temperature thing, but I haven't had an issue with it overheating. I guess I could add some hood louvers to get rid of the underhood heat.

I am thinking that the quality of these ones is not as good as OEM. I am going to get one to have as a spare. What is the going rate for one at the GM dealer?

just bought one through a GM mechanic friend for $80, he says the aftermarket ones are crap

trailburban
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
mine went one me a while back. i figure it was the vibration (being that the outside metal part was loose on the inner part). bought the off shore cheep one from napa and haven't had a problem since.

BeerBaron Sr.
07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Aftermarket ignition stuff is crap. I put three new modules in my truck in one year. Then I got smart, got a GM one from the wreckers, no problem since. The[GENERAL] makes the best equipt. on the market