PDA

View Full Version : Driveline Temperature

ToyotaHEAD
06-25-2006, 09:01 PM
How hot does your Tranny, and tcase(s) get?

Lately mine seem to be (in my opinion) way too hot. Namely the Transmission, and the first tcase. The shifters for each become hot enough to actually make the shift knob noticibly warm. And the steel part of the shifter you can touch, but not for very long. All the oil levels are good, and using toyota recommended oils. The driveline runs silent, and without any issues.... just the heat.

I have heard this happening on a few others dual tcase setups. And I am starting to wonder if the front tcase isnt getting proper oil flow though the adapter plate.

Have any of you experienced this as well?

sj-x 500
06-25-2006, 09:08 PM
dump oil and check for filings. or chunks

Toy_Runner
06-25-2006, 09:27 PM
my shifters get warm, but thats about it

G-rizzle Swank
06-25-2006, 09:50 PM
doubt theres much you can do about it, try pirate 4x4 instead cus there only a few dual guys here

Big_Ern
06-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Mine gets pretty warm too

But my shifters don't clip in properly, so they're not tight enough to transfer the heat up into the knob

I always assumed it was just from the cat which sits right beside them. but it makes sense that duals would get hotter since there's and extra set of gears & bearings moving around in there.

ri0
06-25-2006, 10:13 PM
mine aren't hot at all and I run a 4.7 in the rear case as well

ToyotaHEAD
06-25-2006, 10:36 PM
dump oil and check for filings. or chunks

There are no filings, chunks, etc in the oil. And the oil is a nice honey yellow still. It has been in there for a few months now. Its a semi synthetic blend.

I have been thinking about putting in some of that Lucas Engine oil treatment. AKA Snake oil. Thoughts???

ToyotaHEAD
06-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Mine gets pretty warm too

But my shifters don't clip in properly, so they're not tight enough to transfer the heat up into the knob

I always assumed it was just from the cat which sits right beside them. but it makes sense that duals would get hotter since there's and extra set of gears & bearings moving around in there.

The CAT is a good point. Mine too is in very close proximity to the tcases... I only put it in when I did the engine swap so that I would have one less O2 problem. Now that the engine is in and running good, I will ditch the CAT when it plugs up or I modify my exhaust.

ToyotaHEAD
06-25-2006, 10:40 PM
mine aren't hot at all and I run a 4.7 in the rear case as well

My front case is still the stock 2.28 gears. My 5:1 are in the rear case. And of the three componts (tranny and 2 tcases) it runs the coolest.

Wasnt there a topic about drilling extra oil passage holes in the adapter plate somewhere?

shockless
06-25-2006, 11:24 PM
that lucas crap just puts air bubbles in your oil

sj-x 500
06-25-2006, 11:34 PM
wtf are you talking about?
lucas shock proof is unbelivable oil. never had a diff, tranny, nor t-case fail cuz of it.

Big_Ern
06-25-2006, 11:38 PM
The CAT is a good point. Mine too is in very close proximity to the tcases... I only put it in when I did the engine swap so that I would have one less O2 problem. Now that the engine is in and running good, I will ditch the CAT when it plugs up or I modify my exhaust.

you just got one o2 sensor with the 3.4L? my cali emission spec 22re has one before AND after the cat, so I can't just get rid of the cat...[27]

ToyotaHEAD
06-26-2006, 09:51 AM
you just got one o2 sensor with the 3.4L? my cali emission spec 22re has one before AND after the cat, so I can't just get rid of the cat...[27]

No there are 2 O2's on mine as well. That is why I installed the cat to keep installation problems to a minimum. Now that it is in and running, I can begin experinmenting with removing the cat without effecting the operation.

Off topic, I believe I know how to remove the second O2 without ill effect. I can go over the theory of it with you if your interested via email.

Big_Ern
06-26-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm not too concerened with it really since it works the way it is. Also if I ever want to insure my truck (not just permit) I'll need the cat on to pass aircare...

would make for a lot cleaner of an exhaust install without the cat in the way though.

would still be interested in hearing general idea about it though. Do you just add in a resistor to trick the ecu into thinking its getting a proper reading?