PDA

View Full Version : ok - this sounds like a deal - i think

crazy j
06-17-2006, 11:24 PM
guy on the other site is selling a '96 3.4l with 100k on it for $500 calimed to pay 1800 from a wrecker. heads have been removed "for inspection" but are good to be re-installed. sounds a little fishy, since his personal website says his 4runner has a new engine and there are pics of it in near hood deep water. mabye its legit, but im too far to go and check it out.
sent the guy an email and this is wat i got.

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:31 PM
To: will@wildwillpower.com
Subject: engine for sale

just a few questions about the engine.
what year is it and what did it come out of? what does it include? distributor, fuel injection, ecu, wiring harness, alt., p/s, flywheel, clutch, etc?
and finally, if you paid 1800 for it, why are you selling for only 500? whats wrong with it?
thanks
jeremy

Out of 96 4Runner, doesnít have distributor, fuel injectors & rails yes, engine harness yes, flywheel yes, clutch yes, (NO p/s alt etc Ė itís a motor not the front of a truck). Nothingís wrong with it I just donít have the time to do it and space for it anymore.

Any more ? call me 604-533-3729

id love to have this, but i realistically dont have the time to take on a project like this right now. so ill post it if someone else is interested in doing a swap and has been looking for an engine like this[cheers]

Big_Ern
06-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I've seen that one for sale for a while now. Does sound kinda fishy, but could be a good deal for a sweet motor[36] I'd go check it out if I still had my old 3.0L 4runner

crazy j
06-17-2006, 11:38 PM
put it in your 1st gen. [36]
you know, the one without a box[f]

im curious as to how the 5vz compares to the 7mge.
the 5 and 7m's are such a straightforeward swap, but the v6 is newer and is a truck engine

Big_Ern
06-17-2006, 11:51 PM
7m is known for blowing headgaskets... alot.

its also a car motor designed for higher rpms

5vzfe is a truck motor and develops more torque down low, also was built for a factory supercharger[36]

ToyotaHEAD
06-18-2006, 12:17 AM
So your back and around eh Jeremy... cool!

I just put a 98' 86,000km 5VZ into my 89' 4Runner. LOVIN IT! Never knew my truck had a 5th gear on the highway! And it is BONE STOCK right now. There are GOBS of performace goodies for the 5VZ aswell!!!

I got mine at a wrecker for a screemin deal. Mind you not no $500, but still. Seen as how the heads are off be sure to check with Toyota to find out if they are strech bolts. If they are, you will need to replace them. And that is VERY costly. I just priced out a set for a 3.0L and they were $18/bolt. Overall bill woulda been 250ish.

The only bad points about the 5VZ:
- water pumps are know to prematurely leak
- gee that is all I can think of.. HAHA

DO NOT BE SCARED OF THE WIRING!!!! IT IS SO STUPID EASY!!!! Just get a TOYOTA copy of your wiring harnass, and the EFI harnass of the 5VZ. If you already have EFI in your PU you can have the wiring done in a few hours. (If I recall you had a look at my 22RE conversion when I was in Kelowna.. Did you ever do it?)

Anyhow I can ramble forever. If you do pick up the 5VZ and have any questions just ask.

J

crazy j
06-18-2006, 12:49 AM
ya i converted it to efi. was pretty easy. made the harness at work while gettin paid:D wiring doesnt bother me.
but the engine has issues now - i mean - it knocks really fukin loud. sounds kinda like an old diesel at -40 at times. its been doing it for a while too. im thinkin a wrist pin or really bad piston slap. its almost impossible to diagnose. spent ages poking around with a stethescope and all my mechanic buddies are stumped. for what its worth, i couldnt be bothered tearing it apart again, id rather just swap it for something with more power than the weedeater it sounds like. but like i said, im workin stupid hours all summer and im savin every penny i can to go travelling again so the truck isnt gettin much from me. anyways im gona hold out for someone to give me a supercharged 4.7l[15]
you gonna make it to little white next weekend? its gonna be a gooder.
id like to check out yer swap and have some[cheers]

ToYz
06-18-2006, 02:07 AM
yeah somethin fishy with that because for 500bones it shoulda been sold 10minutes after he posted.. yes and the lexus v8 swap = the gooder, id hold out.