PDA

View Full Version : axle seal

bogealot
06-15-2006, 12:29 PM
So I finally got sick and tired of adding gear oil to my dana 30.so i thought i would replace both front wheel bearings and the pass axle seal...little did i know what a pain in the ass it would be.i should have pulled the carrier and done the driver side at the same time but was to lazy(it will bight me in the ass later).removed both wheel bearings and the pass outer axle(no big deal) then came the vacum disconnect motor,snap,snap,snap.(3 out of the 4 bolts broke).so i heated them up with a torch and after some time and effort I managed to remove the broken bolts.I pounded out the old axle seal but didnt realize the effort involved of installing the new seal...i dont know how you guys have done it but this i what i used....i ground down a seal/race installer(one of those aluminum discs) to the perfect size of the seal, bought a piece of ready rod and sucked the seal into the diff using a bolt....Now this is all fine and good when you know what to use but until i new what i needed it was a huge pain in the ass...so far so good no leaks yet. i should have done the driver side at the same time b/c it was almost all apart anyway.oh well that will be another exciting day off adventure.ya right.the funny thing is i asked chrylser what they use and they said they tap the seal in with a hammer!!!!i would pay to see that

In The Zone
06-15-2006, 12:36 PM
thats how i do most mine hammer and piece o pipe....

Nutbar
06-15-2006, 04:11 PM
You didn't talk to a Jeep guy I could have told you how difficult those axle seals are to do on the disconect YJ/XJ D30s there is actually a special seal installer tool just for doing those D 30s.