PDA

View Full Version : Brakes help here?

hamberger
06-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm confused. Replaced the master cylinder. Bled the lines. Brakes are firm.
Go to start engine and suddenly goes completely soft. Bleed the whole thing over again, brakes are hard. Turn on engine and same thing happens. Whats going on??

ham

twoface
06-02-2006, 11:54 AM
sounds like the power booster to me, but what do I know.

Big_Ern
06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
thats normal. means your booster is working.

But if they're too soft, did you remember to bleed the LSVP? Also doing it all in the correct order is very important to get all the air out.

Big_Ern
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
The proper order is

The proper order for bleeding the system is to start with the longest hydraulic line and work around the vehicle to the shortest line, and then do the LSPV last. So in this case, the order is: driver's rear wheel, passenger rear wheel, passenger front, driver's front, LSPV.

Here's a good link with a bunch of stuff to check for: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/bleedingbrakes/

Pudge
06-02-2006, 12:32 PM
lspv?

Big_Ern
06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Load Sensing Proportioning Valve

its attached to the frame above the rear axle, and has a rod that goes down to the axle. If the truck has a heavy load the suspension sags which changes the angle of the rod which affects the LSPV and gives more force to the rear brakes

HEAVY METAL
06-02-2006, 12:40 PM
[blah] [blah] [blah] [blah] [blah] [blah] [blah] [blah]

Big_Ern
06-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Stick to the chevy room [1d]

HEAVY METAL
06-02-2006, 12:41 PM
no!

hamberger
06-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Never mind. Faulty Lordco re-man. Wasted 3 hrs thinking I was doing something wrong. [27]

ham

Big_Ern
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
doh. i've done that before...[27]

faulty master or ??? what brand was it?

hamberger
06-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Well it didn't have the Aisin stamp on it. So I dunno.

I thought I'd be smart and get a Mast. cyl for a FJ 80 (bigger bore) but I guess because its cast aluminum they don't hone out too well and have a high failure rate. Ended up just getting another minitruck cyl. (cast steel) and away I went. The 80 series cyl. is still a good idea I just think next time I'll get one from a wrecker or from Toyota.

ham

lizard
06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
allot of times I take the jobber ones apart and reclean them as they tend to leave alot of sand an shit in them .....calipurs too ect ect

G-rizzle Swank
06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
i just got a master cylinder froma wrecker from a 90 yota and its worked mint so far

Big_Ern
06-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Well it didn't have the Aisin stamp on it. So I dunno.

I thought I'd be smart and get a Mast. cyl for a FJ 80 (bigger bore) but I guess because its cast aluminum they don't hone out too well and have a high failure rate. Ended up just getting another minitruck cyl. (cast steel) and away I went. The 80 series cyl. is still a good idea I just think next time I'll get one from a wrecker or from Toyota.

ham

some of the brands will bore out the cylinder a lot and then sleave it with a new steel sleeve since the tolerences need to be so tight. You can also order new from lordco. Or alot of the aftermarket companies in the states carry the FJ80 m/c for a decent price marlin, trail-gear, & allpro i beleive[cheers]

Pegleg
06-03-2006, 12:29 PM
my runner has the pro but i have not bleed the lspv

ToyotaHEAD
06-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Ham just go to Toyota and get get a MC from a 90's Pickup or 4Runner. They are the aluminum 1" bore units. Also be sure you have the bigger drum breaks on the back, and the bigger calipers up front. If you still need more breaking power look around for a T100 vacume booster.

BTW... NEVER use Lordco reman'd: break components, hydro clutch components, water pumps, oil pumps, etc.. They are ALL junk!

Hows your father doing?

hamberger
06-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I didn't really need extra braking power I just thought why not put something in better than I had. But after dicking around with a junk re-man I was running out of time and needed to be back on the road to pick up the kids so I've got the stock one again. Next 300,000km I'll get the 1" unit.:rolleyes:

ham