PDA

View Full Version : lower rock crawling speed needed

4x41989
05-28-2006, 12:43 PM
I have a 89 4 runner with an 11 inch lift and 36's soon to be 35/16/15 boggers. I like to rock crawl but my low range just isnt low enough. I heard about dual transfer cases but then I heard that theyre really flimzy. Anyone know of some good ways to lower the speed but still keep top end high way speed at 100. Anyone heard anyything good about the dual t cases.

stuckle
05-28-2006, 12:47 PM
duel cases work good... ask Big_Ern

or duel trannys work good to... ask Stinkfinger

+ new diff gears

crazy j
05-28-2006, 12:54 PM
dual cases are the way to go. [36] have never heard anything bad obout them. you get 3 speeds with stock gears, can change gears sets for even lower ratios and have 4 speeds, plus you lengthen your front driveshaft. not the cheapest way to go though. expect to spend 1000 depending on driveshaft mods by the time its in assuming you install it yourself. ive had mine for 4 years, no problems or complaints. its also worth your while to buy atleast one aftermarket polly engine mount as the added stress rips them apart. can do it cheaper with chain instead if you want too.
i assume with 11" of lift you have a solid axle, cause the ifs wont like it. also it used the with the 4cyl gear drive t-cases. if you have the v6 its going to be alot more expensive and work sice youll need 2 geardrive cases and another adapter to fit the v6 tranny.

hamberger
05-28-2006, 12:55 PM
No they are not flimsy. You can always start with just replacing the existing 2.28:1 gears in your t-case for some 4.7:1's. It will decrease your crawl 2 times. But if you really like crawling then yes dual definitely is better with more shifting options. I'm assuming you have a SAS '89.

ham

4x41989
05-28-2006, 01:00 PM
ya i was thinkin about maybe getting 5.29's when i get mny 35's. Im gonna really need low gears to turn my new boggers being that theyre 16 inches wide and I have a electronic locker in the back and Im gonna weld up the fron spiders.

4x41989
05-28-2006, 01:02 PM
so if I was gonna go with dual transfer cases do i just buy a mounting plate and then get another toyota t case. I have a square front drive shaft with 15 inches of travel so that might work?

4x41989
05-28-2006, 01:11 PM
ya my trucks got an 85 straight axle and a 4 cyl

crazy j
05-28-2006, 01:51 PM
so if I was gonna go with dual transfer cases do i just buy a mounting plate and then get another toyota t case. I have a square front drive shaft with 15 inches of travel so that might work?

yes, make shure the donor case has the shifter on the case, not the tranny.
a couple other things; you add 6" to your t-case length, so that means lengthening the front shaft and shortening the rear. also making, buying or relocating the the center crossmemember. its worth all the work.

Murd0c
05-28-2006, 02:10 PM
I have dual t's right now there great, but honestly not low enough for me, when marlin comes out with the tru twin stick(ya hoe many years have they been saying that) it will come with 4.7 t case gears so I'm so going to get that.

the-t-man
05-29-2006, 09:12 AM
with duals i would use yur front double cardian for the rear, and the rear for the front, make it a square shaft for the front, and only have to get your rear lengthened, about 190 for the rear to be done. also if your getting more into rockcrawling, lower your cog ...

Squishy
05-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I have dual t's right now there great, but honestly not low enough for me, when marlin comes out with the tru twin stick(ya hoe many years have they been saying that) it will come with 4.7 t case gears so I'm so going to get that.

what reece didnt tell you is hes trying to compensate for something he aint got[f]

fuel injection

if i end up getting this 60 as planned, my gearing is going to go from 175:1 on 36's(too slow for any of the stuff around here, i only needed one lowrange for anything) to 140:1 on 40's and that should actually be useable(hopefully)

i think for around here what u can is decent, hes got like 100:1 or close to if im not wrong. id be completely satisfied giving up my doubler, i rarely use it.

now if we were down in moab or oregon or somewhere that has a lot of dry rock, lower could be a good thing, but around here your constantly having to bump over stuff, and when your at 5000rpm and you can walk faster than the truck, your not going to get much of a bump up anything.

but then again if lower is what makes you happier, go for it, but theres a point where its just not useable anymore

EIEIO
05-29-2006, 10:05 AM
You definately want choices. Squishy is a smartererer kinda guy like thing. Dual cases, 4.7 in the rear case and 5.29's in the diff. You will love it.

Big_Ern
05-29-2006, 10:35 AM
[stupid]

that would be the ulitmate combo. Lots of useful gearing choices

Hyenuf
05-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Bah... who needs lower gears????

I got a different theory

Big block power... heavy foot!!

I like the sound that an axle makes just before it snaps!!!! :D

Dude you came to the right place to ask these questions.... take note and ask lots of questions..... most of these guys won't steer you wrong...

sj-x 500
05-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Bah... who needs lower gears????

I got a different theory

Big block power... heavy foot!!

I like the sound that an axle makes just before it snaps!!!! :D

Dude you came to the right place to ask these questions.... take note and ask lots of questions..... most of these guys won't steer you wrong...

i prefer the sound the driver makes just after the axle snaps... usually "FUCK!" or "MY WIFE IS GONNA KILL ME!"

chev-ota
05-29-2006, 05:33 PM
yeh dual t cases are the way to go it has been done lots to trucks [36]

ri0
05-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Dual cases are freaken money...been running them over a year now I love them...I also run a 4.7 in the rear case as well, with 5:29...the 4.7 I find is a bit exsesive, but nice on an obstical where tire placement is crucial.

I would recomend dual cases with 5:29's any day

Pook
05-30-2006, 09:04 AM
I have a 89 4 runner with an 11 inch lift and 36's soon to be 35/16/15 boggers. I like to rock crawl but my low range just isnt low enough. I heard about dual transfer cases but then I heard that theyre really flimzy. Anyone know of some good ways to lower the speed but still keep top end high way speed at 100. Anyone heard anyything good about the dual t cases.

can't go wrong with the ultimate setup...but if you like rock crawling stay away from the boggers [14] they work good around here in our mud, but don't hold the line when technical driving worth a shit...

Greg82
05-30-2006, 09:54 AM
How come no one mentioned dual trannies?

Dual cases will be fine for you want, but 4.7 gears in a single case might be less work:D

StinkFinger
05-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Some one did and they are not that talked about becaus they are
a. not as strong really by design they are not
b. not mass produced cumon who sells a kit
c. to complex for most peoples needs

dont get me wrong i love mine but for the average person its not worth the efort

Greg82
05-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Some one did and they are not that talked about becaus they are
a. not as strong really by design they are not
b. not mass produced cumon who sells a kit
c. to complex for most peoples needs

dont get me wrong i love mine but for the average person its not worth the efort

I did not know you are running duals. What setup are you running?

A friend of mine has dual toyota trannies in his truck, it is working out ok.

I am interested in more info on your setup?

StinkFinger
05-30-2006, 10:26 AM
yeh im runing an l45 and an l43 and it has been good but i blew a reverse gear doing stupid things

Pook
05-30-2006, 01:20 PM
I did not know you are running duals. What setup are you running?

A friend of mine has dual toyota trannies in his truck, it is working out ok.

I am interested in more info on your setup?

don't forget the mile long front drive line you get with dual trannies.

EIEIO
05-30-2006, 01:26 PM
yeh im runing an l45 and an l43 and it has been good but i blew a reverse gear doing stupid things

Owen doing stupid things??

nahhhhhhhhh...

[32]

Big_Ern
05-30-2006, 02:05 PM
don't forget the mile long front drive line you get with dual trannies.

owen's driveline really isn't much longer than a w56 and dual cases since he is using the two shortest trannies toyota has made -- L45 & L43

also i have seen a lot of people who run a 2 piece steady bearing front driveshaft so it doesn't hang down as much

StinkFinger
05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
its 3" longer than a w56 and doubler so its not too bad will be swaping in the l52 with the new motor tho

Pook
05-30-2006, 03:50 PM
owen's driveline really isn't much longer than a w56 and dual cases since he is using the two shortest trannies toyota has made -- L45 & L43

also i have seen a lot of people who run a 2 piece steady bearing front driveshaft so it doesn't hang down as much

I'm running a two piece front shaft in my buggy, mostly due to the engine getting moved back 6" and the diff bumped forward 3" or more, it also helps with the flat belly pan.

I personally think its a weaker setup, then a dual case setup.

StinkFinger
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
im running it and i totaly agree
but fro the do it your selfer its wayyyyyyy cheeper and the gearing options are great

millerbuilt
06-02-2006, 01:07 PM

ya i was thinkin about maybe getting 5.29's when i get mny 35's. Im gonna really need low gears to turn my new boggers being that theyre 16 inches wide and I have a electronic locker in the back and Im gonna weld up the fron spiders.

From these two posts...the first thing I would do is get your self a set of 5.29's. 36's and stock gears is crazy. I ran 33's ats and stock gears and the difference between my lo range speeds with stock and 33's and 5.29 and 35's was night and day. I cant even imagine what 36's would be like. I bet you're burning your clutch out a ton. Daily driving is 100% better too, somthing that dual cases won't change.

I say do your 5.29's before you touch your cases since is sounds like you drive the truck a lot.

My 2cents. Happy wheelin.

Greg82
06-02-2006, 02:34 PM
From these two posts...the first thing I would do is get your self a set of 5.29's. 36's and stock gears is crazy. I ran 33's ats and stock gears and the difference between my lo range speeds with stock and 33's and 5.29 and 35's was night and day. I cant even imagine what 36's would be like. I bet you're burning your clutch out a ton. Daily driving is 100% better too, somthing that dual cases won't change.

I say do your 5.29's before you touch your cases since is sounds like you drive the truck a lot.

My 2cents. Happy wheelin.

Well I agree. But you are planning on running a dual trans setup then I would keep the 4.10's cause the pinion is way stronger.