PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem

YJ
05-28-2006, 12:22 AM
I just finished putting a 2.5" supension lift in my YJ, stuffed on a set of 33's, new shocks and a steering stableizer. Problem, when I am driving the steering seems to "float". Does anyone know what might be causing this? Any help would be great!

bakelite
05-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Dunno what you mean by "float". Any changes you make to the suspension and larger tires are going to make it seem different to drive, it won't drive like a stocker anymore.

shockless
05-28-2006, 10:31 AM
yeah maybe it need s an alignment?

YJ
05-28-2006, 01:21 PM
By "float" I mean that the wheel has a lot of play in it and I am constantly having to correct the wheel while I am driving. I can no longer hold it in one place and have the truck stay there. I know this problem is most likely fixable because a friend of mine just bought a jeep with a 4" lift in it and his steering is tight. Hope this makes sense. Any help would be great.

bratboy
05-28-2006, 01:29 PM
i would think you need to chech all of the steering linkage and tie rods as with the bigger the tires and lift the more exagerated any play that existed b4 will be much worse after the lift and tires are put on. and after you get that straightened out then yes get an alignment also happy trails

DirtyComanche
05-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Alignment. Your toe is incorrect; both tires are pointing inwards. This causes some weird things...