PDA

View Full Version : 1ton sector shaft reinforcement

Crashmaster
05-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Since this is dodge-specific I'll post it in this forum.

It is a fix to take up some of the extreme loads on the sector shaft from the pitman that typically cause the sector to eat into the piston causing excess lash that cannot be corrected properly by adjustments. The pitman end of the sector shaft appears to move radially when rocking the steering wheel.

The pitman nut is replaced with a machined capnut that has an integral shaft on it's end. The shaft rides in a self-centering bearing in the pillow block that's bolted to the square-tube brace that bolts under the sway-bar.

This was the first one of these I've seen and I was impressed. I don't know if this setup is new, but I have done alot of boxes for this problem. Plus it looks beefy good.

I think it came from 'Steering Sloutions' I don't know if there are lighter-duty applications as well, but I'm sure similar setups could be fabbed.

pumpkin
05-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Cool can you find a website for it?

dentedup
05-17-2006, 03:30 PM
[stupid] I need something for mine, more info please

Tmax
05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
i think these have been around for a while now.

MudRam
07-29-2006, 12:04 PM
looks like a good idea.... im kinda partial to the hydraulic assist though, cus it unloads the force on the sector shaft, and increases steering power by at least 100% and completely eliminates bump steer and steering slop caused by lifts and large tires!![cheers]

Nutbar
07-29-2006, 11:18 PM
My Stepmoms Cummins 2500 has one of those in it as well it looked nice and beefy was already in the truck when they bought it but all the work on the truck was done by BD Performance in Abbotsford so I would assume that it was installed there too.