PDA

View Full Version : wierd sound

bogealot
05-14-2006, 07:40 PM
i have a few problems with my yj,Everytime I remove the hard top and take it down gravel roads there is a knocking/rattle from the windshield area...you can feel the knock when you hold your hand on the glass,windshield frame or the roll bar that connects the drivers window to the back of the roll cage....i checked all the windshield frame bolts and roll bar bolts but all are tight....any ideas anyone..problem 2. when taking off from a stop it feels like the rear end is wraping....I just had an 8.8 installed a while ago and ever since then it has done it..unless you ride the clutch a bit....any fixes...oh ya and i have 33 with only 2.5 inches of lift, if that helps.problem 3. when taking off from a stop my trans shifter rocks back and forth for a second and then smooths out.time to fix these problems as now i will be doing a lot more driveing and the top is staying off.

DirtyComanche
05-14-2006, 07:59 PM
For the rattle, I'll say "It's Jeep, shit's gonna rattle".

Anyways, what type of lift do you have? Bigassed shackles? Are the ubolts torqued down good? What type of spring perches were used? Are the bushings in the leaf springs good? Are the shocks good (unlikely to be an issue). Is the centering pin for the leafs the right dia. for the spring perches?

There's a lot of things that can cause spring wrap...

bogealot
05-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I have big shackels....maybe to big....5 1/4 rear eye to eye and 6 front.....the spring perches are off the dana 35.....the spring locating pin is smaller than the hole they go into...couldnt see that being the problem once they are torqued down they dont move,in fact i have been told by many spring shops that the pin is only there to find the right position of the diff,once it tight its tight.as for that rattle, its bad sounds like the glass is baging around and is going to break...had a window put in around winter time...maybe its loose in the window frame.you can accually pull on the window frame and make the sound...weird...always something....ah well that fun of it.man it was nice driving up the highway with no top.....accept the burned back shoulders and worst of all the.......face.

DirtyComanche
05-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, AFIK the pin does not keep the centered, but it's critical for the initial alignment. If you were having track issues I guess that would make more sense though.

So, nevermind that.

(yeah, I'm postwhoring a bit... I've got crap to sell)