PDA

View Full Version : Toyota landcruiser/hilux info

SAMURAI JACK
05-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Need some help with any info for 88-91 Landcruisers and hilux surf(same as 4runner) RHD diesels. Want to know stuff like what year/diesel engines model/body type/ running gear/ solid axle or ifs etc would be good.Might be getting one as I have found a buyer for my heep(jeep).

u-can-2
05-13-2006, 07:44 PM
I saw one on the Marry Hills bypass a few days ago... Does that help [freak]

hamberger
05-13-2006, 07:51 PM
surfs are IFS. LC's are not. Hilux's are solid axle up to '96. 99% of trucks imported from Japan are diesel.

Go to ih8mud.com lotsa info there.

ham

KINGCRUISER
05-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Visit mustang connections, they have a website and import japanese 4x4's. They have some real cool truck, all diesel , all RHD and some with lockers. My favorite would have to be the HZJ 80 which some with 6 cylinder turbo diesel, 4 link and coils, lockers, and pretty much any interior option out there.

Big_Ern
05-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Talk to Lizard on here. He just bought a mint '89(?) Hilux Surf. Same as our 90+ 4runners except RHD & turbo Deisel[36][36]

ToYz
05-14-2006, 02:50 PM
If you need importation information pm me ive imported a few now and am currently importing a 91 hilux from the philippines (left hand drive hate the rhd) Things to look for on the Surfs especially is crank noise many of these vehicles from brokers have been altered and tampered with (different vins/dashes milage etc) Best bet is to deal with the sellers across seas and not have anyone deal with it on this end unless its a trusted friend etc, ive seen many many people lose money or end up paying way more than originally expected in the end.

ie: vehicle cost from japan (6000cdn)
freight (2k-2.5cdn)
paperwork / transportation taxes aswell as inspection (bothsides) (1k-upwards to 4)

and than the broker and dealership costs (hidden mainly) (too much)

overall the 6000 dollar truck u thought you had a good deal on ends up being well over 10k.

do your research. :D

ToYz
05-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Oh and also it's always good to buy a vehicle that has already been inspected and registered in BC it saves time and money, but if you really want a specific vehicle its best to buy overseas, hopefully soon you will start seeing left hand drive hilux's and surf's here.. from personal experience RHD becomes very very [35] only problem is that exporting vehicles from places that drive on the left side (such as the philippines) is extremely difficult and im having to import my hilux in 3 parts over a period of 6months but hey it'll be one of the few 91 hilux's that can go through the tim hortons drive through [cheers]

lizard
05-14-2006, 06:00 PM

Buy from a dealer here, the trucks/cars are already inspected an ready to go .
Not all are diesels , theres v6 an 4 cl gas(usually ALOT cheaper) ,
many are auto not manual trans.
Newest you can buy is 91 ,(15yr limit)
All the ones I looked at had lots of options and where in immaculate shape with zero rust .50-100kl on them , and look better then a 2000
RT hand drive is no big deal , get an auto(4speed auto) if your scared
89 surf was first year for JDM in IFS , body style is same as my 94
Hilux pu's come in 2dr & 4door. there abit hard to find as they sell quick
diesel sizes are 2.0lt, 2.4lt , 2.8lt . 3.0 , some turbo
Cruizers have some verynice options (pt0,3.0td, racks & bushbars,lockers ect) but are alot more money also
theres also nissan pathfinder diesels that sell for cheaper then the toys.
fm radio's only go to 90 and dont really pick anything up.
do a good long test drive to check everything , turbos,air,4x4 ect
yah drive threws are a bitch unless you have a passenger
signal switch/lights is on other side, everything else is the same.
do your research dont believe all the bs some peaple say.
check to make sure the factory (japan) recalls were done
all 2lts diesels models need a belt change at 100k (consider that in the sellin price)
Some parts can be a headache for obviuos reasons but there all avaliable , Australians have a ton of these in use.

SAMURAI JACK
05-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the inputs so far but also wanted to know things like are toy auto's any good , what rear end and front end is in and would i be better off getting a landcruiser that has ff rear and sa front or buy the hilux surf for less and do axle swaps later etc.

lizard
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
thats kinda up to you , surfs are the cheapest , next is the hilux pu, then the cruisers.So u could get a mint surf and do a SAs and still be far ahead of the game...but do your research on the steering ectect .or just get a pu or cruiser an be done with it.

the australians dont seem to have any problems then normal, add a cooler an your good to go.

lizard
05-14-2006, 07:20 PM
also the cruisers to buy are the 85-88 range 3b diesels

KINGCRUISER
05-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Man forget a SAS or spring overs. Go with a HDJ 80 with a 4.2L Turbo diesel and give it like a 3" coil lift. These trucks are stocked with 4 link and coils, factory lockers, center diff lock, full floater rear, 9.5" diffs and all the creature comforts of a luxury SUV. Took one of these for a test drive from Penticton toyota and almost traded the FJ 45 for it. I've looked into importing one for a long time now, and if your gonna go to the trouble, get the 80 and make it worth your while. If the curiser isn't your thing I'd look into the 4 door Hilux pickups which came with a solid front axle and leafs. Only thing you dont get is the 4.2L and coils.

ToYz
05-14-2006, 08:43 PM
yeah the cruisers are badass, bit pricey but id go that way if i had a bgetter salary. [36]

arjan
05-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey lizard, if you're interested in a '91 4Runner factory radio, I have one which you can have for some beer. It's just cassette, no cd, I think it has CD controls.

epic3
05-24-2006, 12:30 AM
he got the surf saw it today
one damn clean toyota

lizard
05-25-2006, 06:34 PM
lets see some pics!!!!!!!!!