PDA

View Full Version : Jeep unstable????

Buck Master
05-09-2006, 01:11 PM
90 Jeep YJ with 2.5L. Sprung over, 2.5" body lift, ranch RS 5000, 33" Bogger. Rims are off set so its really wide. No sway bars or traction bars. That should cover it. Any ways it is really bad driving down the road or when hitting the brakes hard. Can anything be done to help stabablize it without affecting off road performance. I have seen a few guys driving like maniacs with no problems. I can barly do 90 km and even then can't hit the brakes to hard.

kamloopsyota
05-09-2006, 01:35 PM
arent jeeps terrible to drive and stuff when they are sprung over???

Nutbar
05-09-2006, 01:52 PM
get rid of the spring over and put a Rubicon Express 4.5 Extreme kit in it.

I hate spring overs and will NOT do them on the Jeeps at my shop they never ride/drive well and they inherently create more problems than they are worth.

Honky
05-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I knew that was coming

UU
05-09-2006, 03:40 PM
[stupid]

90 Jeep YJ with 2.5L. Sprung over, 2.5" body lift, ranch RS 5000, 33" Bogger. Rims are off set so its really wide. No sway bars or traction bars. That should cover it. Any ways it is really bad driving down the road or when hitting the brakes hard. Can anything be done to help stabablize it without affecting off road performance. I have seen a few guys driving like maniacs with no problems. I can barly do 90 km and even then can't hit the brakes to hard.

Thats your problem right there.

Buck Master
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
get rid of the spring over and put a Rubicon Express 4.5 Extreme kit in it.

I hate spring overs and will NOT do them on the Jeeps at my shop they never ride/drive well and they inherently create more problems than they are worth.

Why would there be a difference? Whats the price of the Rubicon kit roughly?

Honky
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I have that lift kit that I will be selling in OCT at a good price if you can wait. Nutball will my CJ lift fit on his YJ?

jeeper
05-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Youve got the yj springs in there dont you Kev?So it should !

B
05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
what lifts in your bruce..?

jeeper
05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Just a 2 1/2 rancho !

Jeep Junkie
05-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Go with the RE 4.5" kit. I have it in my CJ and it's awesome. No issues at all with stability, etc...

Nutbar
05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey Kev they based your kit on the one they did for the YJs but it is not exactly the same your springs are actually slightly different lengths than the yj kit and other minor changes ( shock lengths u bolt sizes )

when the spring over was done #1 do you know if the caster angle was set up right #2 the springs if stock are way to soft for the center of gravity and the rolling mass of the tires #3 did they do a high steer conversion, if not drastic bump steer situation. I could go on and on about the don'ts of spring over but I will just say that a GOOD lift kit will installed properly will cure your problems

I believe Matt at Jeap Thrills sells the 4.5 Rubicon Extreme kit (the highest end and best leaf spring kit Rubicon makes for the yjs) for about 1600 it might seem a little pricey but the kit is a competition ready lift kit with every bell and whistle you could want.

FINGERS
05-09-2006, 09:16 PM
hey kev i thought you were gonna tell me a price on them springs??[f]

Steev
05-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Swaybars will make a big improvement

Matt
05-10-2006, 06:22 AM
screw the sway bars,LOOSE THE SPRING OVER

Buck Master
05-10-2006, 08:10 AM
When I first wanted to lift the Jeep I went into my local 4X4 shop and they actually unofficially recommended the spring over. It ended up costing me as much or more than a roper kit in the end. Money wasn't an issue, I just wanted a good kit. From now on, I am a Jeap Thrills customer only.

mUD uCKeR
05-10-2006, 08:11 AM
I would look at a few other things before you just rip out everything you finished putting in. Big wide boggers, on wierd offset rims will reak havoc with balljoints. That is the first thing i would check.... Make sure they are good. Also when you did your SOA, what was done to deal with your caster angle. Check that as well, as it will change how your rig will perform on the hard flat stuff. Another thing sometimes overlooked are your spring eye bushings, what kinda of shape are they in.
Taking out your sway bar is gonna make it crazy to drive on the highway, unless you set it up so you can unhook it, and then hook it up again, there is no way around the loss in highway performace from unhooking it. Very rarely do I drive around town with SOA and 38" boggers, but if i ever do have to do any highway driving, i just hook my sway bar back up. I set mine up so i could just unbolt the sway bar links. They haven't been on in about a year and a half now.... and when they are off, any time I come up to a corner, if i take it with any type of speed... it's a scares the shit outta people riding along.
With tight ball joints, and TRE and everything good like tire pressures ect... i can easily cruze down the highway at 120 KM/hr with my SOA with 38.5x15x16's with no crazy pulling, or shaking.... mind you i am careful... and it's not something i do a lot. The only thing i don't like it, is the noise from the boggers.

Nutbar
05-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Again the spring over creates more problems than it helps performance most of the Jeeps that I go out with run the Rubicon Express lift and at least 16 wide boggers including myself and we don't have these issues. Never had to check the castor angle and none of us run a sway bar in our trucks (bandaid on a bullet wound in this case). Take a look at some of mine and Warlords donut videos I dare any of you guys with a spring over to try donuting with us, hell we drive our Jeeps like sprint cars on the gravel roads full on 4 wheel controlled drifts through corners again I would like to see some spring over Jeeps perform the way we do.

FINGERS
05-10-2006, 10:07 AM
true mikey very true,all i can say is i wouldnt do spring over the ruicon would be the way to go,as fer my heep well it was already soa so i deal with it the toy axels help i think cause she actually drives really good and strait no wobbles or nuthin ,but I would have never built my jeep that way[cheers]