PDA

View Full Version : So when there's metal in your diff...

Torch2815
05-05-2006, 01:11 PM
So I leave for vernon tommorrow and I'm out doin a pre trip on the truck...I remove the filler plug on the rea diff (dana 70)and on the magnet attached to the plug is a whole whack of metal not just fine pieces but larger 1mm chunks :confused: the oil is like black too, so I topped it up cause I have to go to work but shit, anybody got any input??? (the rear end was completely serviced last year from drum to drum...I'm gonna pop the cover when I get back from Vernon and take a closer look...[j] [27]

Dieseljeep
05-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Onr of the cross pins could have worked its way loose and is cutting the case apart or the diff cover.Possibly be the C&P gear or the spider has worn thru the heat treated and is wearing heavy .You wont get a good idea until you pull the cover.Regardless large chunks in the diff is gonna cost you some major cash ,time for an upgrade.:confused: [27]

B
05-05-2006, 02:35 PM
i personaly would remove the cover and flush it before going to vernon just to make sure nothing is loose ....other than that hammer down that diff is so strong couple of small pieces stuck to the magnet is no big deal ... after my welded spiders in my 14 bolt let go at 20 mile bay couple of years ago and shot teeth threw the cover still drove it home w like 2 liters of 10 30 wieght no probs....[5][5]

In The Zone
05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
yup wont take long to pull the cover and have a quick peek

is it the factory trac lok?

could be worn cluthes?

u would here if the centre pin was touching the housing...

black = friction material... silver = metal on metal..

Chody
05-05-2006, 10:56 PM
yah dude that sucks... i had 3 inch chunks of pinion in my diff