PDA

View Full Version : Lift

InteriorZR2
05-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Looking to buy a suspension lift for my '89 xj. Wondering if you guys/gals had any input as to best bang for the buck, this is just my cheap project as my s10 is getting the real money spent on it right now. Want to run 31/32's and have broken rear leaf pack right now, so looking for a kit that has rear leafs.

Thanks

Nutbar
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
For 31s or squeeze 32s Rancho has a 3 in kit that is quite reasonably priced and comes with new rear leaf packs most of the other cheap kits are an add a leaf or lift block for the rear.

Have installed that Rancho kit many times with much success customers were happy with it.

InteriorZR2
05-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Do you know the part number for the kit, or where i might be able to get it?

Nutbar
05-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Can't remember the part # for the kit but Lordco is a Rancho distributor they have a store in Kelowna

DirtyComanche
05-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Define 'cheap'.

Which leaf is broken? A main leaf or one of the others? If the mains are good, no worries; if not you're going to have to hit up the junkyard. Or find somebody with stock ones...

Anyways, then get the leafs out of a S-10, Dakota, etc... It must be a spring under truck with the same width leafs. Rebuild your stock pack using your old main leafs, and all of the lower ones out of the donor pack. Or, you can cut down the main on the donor pack to suit your needs too.

Oh, get some fullsize shackles while you're at it. How much lift will it give you? Not a clue, I don't own an XJ.

Anyways, fronts are fun. You can use F150 coils, and get a harsh ride. Or you can use some V6 thunderbird coils. 4"ish of lift. You'll need to make an adapter for the top coil bucket. There's some other good donors too, don't really remember what.

Now it gets really crazy. You could buy a track bar, LCAs/UCAs etc, or you can just run what ya got and make sure you get a nicely padded seat. Well, you can redrill the track bar bracket and reuse the stock one. Make it sorta close. For LCAs and UCAs things are jsut kinda awkward, I don't know of any good candidates. But you can always a pull a Rocky Road Outfitters and get a bunch more LCA shims and reshim the LCAs so that your caster is somewhere near not horrible.

Oh, you'll need some shocks. YJ ones might work. Or buy proper ones. Lordco should be able to help you... And you'll want YJ front brake lines. And a YJ rear line too, I think. Maybe it's a dakota line. I forget.

But yeha, cheap.

Nutbar
05-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Or you just buy a proper lift so everything is done right the first time. The rancho kit should be about 900 with NEW REAR LEAF PACKS and shocks and lower control arms, and no headaches.[27]

DirtyComanche
05-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Where's your sense of adventure?

Fine, buy the pretty boy lift.

Matt
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
[27] that's way to much work. my time is worth more than that. the rancho kit should be around 1100 bucks. rubicon has an even nicer ride starting for just a few bucks more plus if you want to go bigger you can add on to their kits.
[!] mickey mousin shit together

InteriorZR2
05-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Has anyone used the Rough Country 4.5" Lift for the xj? Looking for feedback found a, what I think is good price on one, of $899.95 Just looking for some feedback on it.

Thanks

Matt
05-04-2006, 08:22 PM
[27] got a kidney belt? your gonna need it with that lift!!![14]

B
05-04-2006, 09:38 PM
[27] got a kidney belt? your gonna need it with that lift!!![14]

[stupid] [stupid] ...... hey matt thats 2 posts in one day u better take a couple off and relax before u get overwelumed[f] and have to go back to drinkin[cheers] [15] [15] [15]

InteriorZR2
05-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Is that why they call it "Rough Country" ? ;)

kootenaycat
05-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Putting a RE 3.5 super flex into my '90 XJ, finished the front today, tomorrow evening should have the rear lifted. Will post a new topic with details/pics. Hardest part so far was getting the front hanger bolts off the rear springs! Soaked them through the little access hole all last week and they were still tight! At least nothing broke!