PDA

View Full Version : Pinion flange drilling question

Toyrantula
05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
What size drill bit do I need to drill my pre IFS rear pinion flange to meet the bolt size of the new IFS driveshaft?

I think it is near a 3/8`s bit but want to be more precise.

I severly fawked my IFS diff up at Dixon Dam the other day pulling Stillrye out and some J**p.

thanks

sj-x 500
05-03-2006, 09:18 AM
it's just shy of 3/8s but what i did was ream it all out to 3/8ths and run grade 8 3/8ths hardware.

Toyrantula
05-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I think I will do the same.

Not much meat left on the pre IFS flange to drill a new pattern, but gotta do something.

Thanks Larry.

Big_Ern
05-03-2006, 12:22 PM
the old 1st gen style is 8mm, and the newer 84+ patterns are 10mm

You best off to use the proper driveshaft bolts if you have them. I didn't and they're always coming loose....

In The Zone
05-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Must be a toyota thing......

Toyrantula
05-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I did most of the drilling so far and went 3/8`s b4 my Dewalt cordless packed a motor in. Kinda funny that the ancient power ma walmart crap drill single speed has done most of the drilling without a problem. So much for price and quality of Dewalt?

ANyways I will use Stainless Gr 5 or bbeter with Nylock nuts and blue threadlocker. Should hold okay.

Only other problem is the speed sensor in the IFS carrier, the old Non IFS carrier has no hole to mount it, so I will tie a leather boot to the sensor and fill it with grease and tie it up somewhere.

Cant finish for a day or so untill my friggin eyesight comes back anyways. The laser surgery Doctor screwed up and started puttin drops in the wrong eye, then started the laser on the correct eye and didnt frreeze it. He then did 1000zaps at 120% more power than needed.

Fawkin twit. Got him back by pukin down the hallway as I felt around for the door.

LOL

Toy_Runner
05-03-2006, 08:30 PM
time to swap to soild axle [36]

G-rizzle Swank
05-03-2006, 08:49 PM
id say, and time to buy my boggers too, sas is easy man just ask for some help and we can get it finished in a weekend

sj-x 500
05-03-2006, 10:40 PM
don't use stainless bolts. they are not meant for load carrying. plated bolts are ok, but make sure they are gr 5 min. i used gr 5, not 8, and used lock washers and standard nuts for clearance issues

Toyrantula
05-04-2006, 08:05 AM
I think the stainless bolts I got should work fine. Got them from Jeff at the Airport. Says they are used on landing gear assembly`s.

He also gave me some cad plated bolts that have a strength a little beyond gr 8.

What I really want is some Gr8 cad bolts with atleast a 1/4" of shoulder. All these bolts are threaded to the bolthead. Think I will go to Kenworth on the hill or DCT and see what they got in the bolt bins.