PDA

View Full Version : CB radio

hittinghard
04-27-2006, 11:21 PM
hey guys and girls i just bought me a midland cb radio for 70$ at radio shack. i figured i should get one since i'm on the back roads a bit. so with that what type of antena should i get? what do you think is the best? fiber glass or a whip or what? and you know any easy mods i can do to it to pump up the power? i know you can buy an amp for it for about 300$ canadian here in the lower mainland but i don't want to be talking to china , just like its at 4 right now maybe up it to like 10 watts or so.
any ideas???

oh and what channle are you guys usually on???

Big_Ern
04-27-2006, 11:44 PM
A good antenna tuned properly is the most important part of the system, so I would stick with a good antenna such as a K40, Wilson flex, or Firestik. Also make sure you get an SWR meter (or borrow one) and tune the antenna after you mount it.

FireStik's website has a lot of good tech on installing & tuning etc : http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

As for channels.... Most 4x4 guy use ch4.

[cheers]

ToyotaHEAD
04-27-2006, 11:51 PM
A typical channel used is 4. But that all depends on the people you go with.

Go with a stainless steel whip, and a spring between the whip and the coil. They are quick and easy to tune, and wont break when ya smackem off of trees, etc... while out wheeling.

"LEGAL" wattage for a CB in Canada is 5Watts. That being said, common sence should provail. Besides.... Communication can only happen when you can both talk, and hear. What good is a radio that can talk for 50km when you can only hear for 2-3km??? (Signal skip doesnt count)

Personally you'd better off with a FM Ham / Commerical radio. That way you get the power (30Watts legally), and you also get to hear and communicate with truckers on the FSR's. No more unexpected holy shit encountors with a fully loaded logging truck! The only downside is the cost of the units, as well the licencing. HAM radios are far cheaper and will do *just* about everything as a commerical unit. In some cases they are far more prefered. Goin rate on a top of the line HAM is about $350cdn. A HAM licence is a course you take, and get a one time licence. Not sure of the $. A commerical radio will run anywhere from 500-1200bux, and is licenced by the year. Each year I believe the licence fee is about $80.

hittinghard
04-29-2006, 12:40 PM
alright sweet thanks

tazuki
04-29-2006, 03:47 PM
This works gooder and yah don't need an antena !! [cheers]

Kinslayer
04-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, steel whip antenna's are the best, mount it high with a flat plane nearby - the higher the antenna the less of your truck to obscure the signal.

I got a thruglass antenna for my jeep way back when, and It did everything I could have expected of it, it was small, descreet, fairly cheap ($30 bucks or so) with good reception. I was never in to talking with truckers 10 miles away, it was always just for short range wheelin communication, y'know, trucks 90% of the time within 100 feet of each other.

talen
04-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Im gonna agree with kinslayer there. I have a K40 and it works great. I have been on stave way on the other side and have heard conversations In the flats.

Kinslayer
05-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah man, I have a transcript of what was heard:

"Hey bubba, look at dat der mud hole! I'm gunna git my junk stuck in der!"

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-HAW"

<big block echos off mountainside>

"Dang, Look at Mary-Sue over der! She be shakin' that booty like derz no tumorra! I'm gonna take my pickup truck into that mud hole over here and impress-er!"

"Hey, look at Jim-Bob's Ford! He's gone broked it again! Lets go help him git-r-dun!"

J20
05-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Yeah man, I have a transcript of what was heard:

"Hey bubba, look at dat der mud hole! I'm gunna git my junk stuck in der!"

"Dang, Look at Mary-Sue over der! She be shakin' that booty like derz no tumorra! I'm gonna take my pickup truck into that mud hole over here and impress-er!"

"Hey, look at Jim-Bob's Ford! He's gone broked it again! Lets go help him git-r-dun!"

[15] [15] [15] [15] thats good dude[15] [15] [15] [15]

Rig Pig
05-02-2006, 04:46 PM
That's next on my list, CB = good times...