PDA

View Full Version : GMC Jimmy problems

dilbert_1239
04-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I have a 1975 gmc jimmy, and i am getting a few problems with it. now i know since it is over 30 years old it will never run perfect again, however i am getting a crazy amount of vibration in genral, and i dont know from what. i am also getting a very heavy clunking/knocking in the front end whenever i put the truck under load, or go over a bump at a high speed. it is a very distinct noise, but i dont know what it is. i replaced 5 of the 7 u joints thinking that would be the problem, but i guess not. i have a feeling it is the two u-joints at each front wheel tyhat is the problem, however i must leave that up to a mechanic to do, and i am not sure if thats the problem or not. anyone with simliar problems or ideas to fix this ?

joshjohnbaun
04-25-2006, 11:39 PM
had that on my jeep, when you are slowing down, with no brake or anything hang out head out the window, if you hear a clunk clunk clunk sorta noise, its the ones on the wheels, you could also stick your hand in there (while not moving of course) and try jiggling them around, the ones on my jeep i could almost pull out of there by hand

bakelite
04-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Lift the front end off the ground and jiggle shit til you find what it is...put it in 4WD and turn the front drive shaft, see if there is any play in the axle ujoints, check your balljoints, shocks, wheel bearing, hubs....mine's a 75 too, I had a lot of vibration when driving on the highway from a bent driveshaft. The old ones are cool, they can be perfect. [36]

joshjohnbaun
04-26-2006, 09:16 AM
haha yup