PDA

View Full Version : 89 XJ tranny problem

Buck Master
04-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Just got my 89 XJ with auto going after it sat for about 6 months. Everything works fine but it won't shift gears automatically. Put it in drive and drive along but it stays in low gear.

I just changed the steering column in it. Is there something electrical that I did worng? It was fine when I parked it. Its a 4.0L if that matters.

kootenaycat
04-25-2006, 10:59 PM
They are electrically shifted, TCM is behind pass kick panel I believe. Check ALL your fuses with a test light. A buddies XJ was shifting to 2 automatically, even when in manual 1, turned out fuse supplying power to the TCM was burnt. Was a yellow wire at the TCM connector. Hope that helps ya!

Moondog
04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Im no expert but I would have thought that if you left it sat for 6 months that maybe the tranny fluid might be no good? Might have setelled and become to thick (viscousity) for the tranny. Flush it out and change the fluid and see if it makes a difference. I would not thought that changing the steering colum would have anything to do with the tranny.

Nutbar
04-26-2006, 01:49 AM
The XJs use an electonic tranny the main things that go wrong with them are the fuse for the TCM as stated by Kootenyacat, but the TCM is mounted on the back of the lower dash facia on the passenger side, the throttle position sensor (it is the one on the throttle body but on the auto XJs there is 2 sensors in 1 housing, 1 for the tranny and 1 for the fuel inj) and the speed sensor

pumpkin
04-26-2006, 07:42 AM
They also have selenoids in the trans to control psi and shifting. I had one that wouldn't shift, and it was the preasure regulator selenoid in the trans.

Buck Master
04-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks. I'll start checking. I did have the TCM unplugged to remove the lower dash facia so maybe someting went hay wire. Checked tranny fluid and its good plus the thing drives nice in reverse and first gear. No slippage.

Buck Master
04-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Ok. Checked the fuse labelled tranny in the fuse panel and its fine. Checked the fuse under the dash facia on the passenger side (don't know what its for) and its fine. What else should i check? Any other fuses?

bogealot
04-26-2006, 03:53 PM
hey moondog......oil doesnt loose its viscosity by sitting it looses it from repeated heat up and cool down....oh wait what do i know what i am talking about i am just a newbie...sorry i forgot

Buck Master
04-26-2006, 04:00 PM
There is a white clip on the column that has a rod of some sort that goes up to the steering wheel that was different on the two column. The harness that plugged in to this worked on either. It had some extra slots so it just plugged in. Would this have anything to do with the shifting? And its not the rod that releases the shifter when you step on the brake. Thats a seperate one.

Matt
04-27-2006, 08:55 PM
i've run into this many times. 99% gurantee its the speed sensor in the back of the tranny(not the one in the t/case.

Buck Master
05-04-2006, 08:34 AM
OK, can't figure it out. Where/Who can I take it to. I only have low gear so it needs to be in Surrey somewhere.

Nutbar
05-04-2006, 08:47 AM
I would suggest Matt at Jeap Thrills but that is in Maple Ridge so it sounds like to far for you to want to go.

Buck Master
05-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Whats his number. I tried 411.ca and nothing comes up that is local. Ontario only.

Nutbar
05-04-2006, 10:05 AM
The number is 604 465 5559 and it J E "A" P Thrills that's probably why you couldn't find it.

Matt
05-04-2006, 08:26 PM
unplug the inline fuse by the trans computer(right side of dash).you should be able to drive the jeep manually. if you try to start in drive the tranny will seem like it's slipping like a bastard. that should let you drive it to my shop. be glad to help. 604-465-5559 ask for matt. thanks nutbar for the plug again

jeeper
05-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey Buckmaster !

Those two have forgotten more stuff about jeeps then has been written about them !

Matts a good one for the prob your lookin at !

Buck Master
05-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks Matt. I am going to trailer it over. It will be sitting there by the time you get there in the morning (Saturday).