PDA

View Full Version : ordering shocks?

Fuzzydog
04-24-2006, 02:05 PM
When ordering shocks for a lifted vehicle, do you just flex it out madly and measure full extension and full compression, then tell the shop those numbers? Or is there a better way?

When I 'home brew lifted' my cherokee, I did it that way, then cross referenced lengths in a catalogue and ended up order shocks for a F150 and a wrangler. I kinda think it didn't work out the way I expected
I just bought cheapo shocks at the time as I wasn't sure if I would stick with that lift, now I think I will so I want good shocks.

In The Zone
04-24-2006, 02:57 PM
got forklift it is a easy way to measure out your suspension cycle

full droop and full stuff each corner..
also a good time to look at limiting straps if ya need em...

bogealot
04-25-2006, 06:43 PM
no no no.....do not use a fork lift...you can if you want to but that is not the proper way to do it....phone any offroad shop and they will tell not to do that.......it depends what kind of suspension you have?????as for a leafs:remove the shocks and measure full suspension travel from eye to eye...this number you can cross referance in a shck book and should be fin but, if you have crazy flex shackels or a different rear end then factory then i suggest buying a shock that is the right total length but still the smallest compressed eye to eye measurment that you can buy....this is how i did it when i swapped in an 8.8 into my YJ and it wirks fine...tires rub before the shocks bottem out....oh yea

jeeper
04-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Wo dude

Why wouldnt you want to see what your truck actually flexs out at????????

Damm -I must have missed something in wheelin 101 !

Every truck setup is different and if you think a offroad shop can tell you what to put on -go ahead and buy them that way -They can only do that for basic lifts and mods ! Beyond that your lookin to actually see what you need !

I would say more here but your a newbie and im gonna be nice (see Dean your not the only one )

B
04-25-2006, 07:04 PM
no no no.....do not use a fork lift...you can if you want to but that is not the proper way to do it....phone any offroad shop and they will tell not to do that.......it depends what kind of suspension you have?????as for a leafs:remove the shocks and measure full suspension travel from eye to eye...this number you can cross referance in a shck book and should be fin but, if you have crazy flex shackels or a different rear end then factory then i suggest buying a shock that is the right total length but still the smallest compressed eye to eye measurment that you can buy....this is how i did it when i swapped in an 8.8 into my YJ and it wirks fine...tires rub before the shocks bottem out....oh yea

stick w [stoned] ......[27] [27] ...........[wako]

Lucas
04-25-2006, 07:35 PM
i would think the best way is to use a ramp untill full flex ,i would think the diff moves diferintly than if it was on a fork lift>I used a fork lift for my truck,full comp/droop and it works.
Just my 2 cents

In The Zone
04-25-2006, 09:36 PM
As long as u are cycling your suspension full stuff and full droop

it dont matter how you do it just do it...

oh ya there aint nothin stock about neither of my two trucks...
so u go and call

up some offroad shop all they can see is $$$$$$$ and a mark coming their way LOL

have fun...

FINGERS
04-25-2006, 09:40 PM
what no nutbar comment yet[16] [16]