PDA

View Full Version : EGR valve?

godtool
04-18-2006, 09:52 AM
A guy told me a person can remove the egr valve and then just put a plate over the hole. Do you need to remove anything from inside the intake manifold or block anything off inside? What does the egr valve do? I heard it helps with air care but I only put permits on my truck or trailer it (once I get a trailer). Will my overall vacuum and performance be better with it gone? Once I got my engine in I will tune it for best vacuum etc.

Squishy
04-18-2006, 09:57 AM
egr will not effect vaccum at idle, the egr(if working properly) will be sucked shut upon startup, and will only open when vaccum drops off(eg. foot to the floor) and sucks the gases out of the crankcase. you do want the egr valve there, it is a good thing.

godtool
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks, I'll leave it in. Aircare I want to pass one day if my wife lets me insure it. LOL.

pumpkin
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
The egr valve works off ported vacume, and only during cruise. At idle or WOT it is off. The only reason to remove it is to make the engine look better.It has no effect on the engines performance, but with it removed the engine may ping at cruise.

kootenaycat
04-18-2006, 09:48 PM
egr will not effect vaccum at idle, the egr(if working properly) will be sucked shut upon startup, and will only open when vaccum drops off(eg. foot to the floor) and sucks the gases out of the crankcase. you do want the egr valve there, it is a good thing.

I think you mean PCV valve! And yah you need one of them, along with the breather in the valve cover to let fresh air into the crankcase.

And what Pumpkin says.

Squishy
04-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I think you mean PCV valve! And yah you need one of them, along with the breather in the valve cover to let fresh air into the crankcase.

And what Pumpkin says.

duh[27] ok i must have misread, the egr will also throw a check engine code if you do not have it hooked up(unless you bypass it with a resistor, but detonation may still happen).

talen
04-19-2006, 10:19 PM
It will allow the Exaust Gases to Reculate back into the combustion chamber. it reduces combustion temperatures and can increase oxides of nitrogen (aircare) Now taking it out and using a blockoff plate will keep the intake manifold cleaner not allowing crap to plug it up. Also having one less vacume hose and potential leak to worry about. Now if tuned right you will not have any problems passing air car, if you are marginal you have a possility to fail.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation

a definition
"Part of the positive crankcase ventilation system, which reroutes crankcase blow-by to the intake manifold and back to the engine, where it's reburned in the cylinders as part of the fuel/air mixture. This cuts emission pollution and increases fuel economy because unburned fuel in the blow-by is consumed the second time around. It also keeps the blow-by and water vapour from fouling the oil in the crankcase, thus reducing the formation of engine sludge."

kootenaycat
04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks newbie! Gooder job on yer first post! :D
Welcome aboard BTW![cheers]