PDA

View Full Version : body lift problem

bogealot
04-04-2006, 05:18 PM
i have a 94yj that has some sort of spring lift in it about 2.5 inches....i wanted to install a 2 inch body lift(not normally a difficult thing) I started by trying to lossen the body mounts and soon found that 90% of the body mount throw bolts were seized..I broke one and stopped there......i have heard its not unusall to have to cut the body apart to access the welded nut but this seems like it could turn into a hack job very early in the project????is it best to cut the body from inside the cab or from the outside....????i just dont want this thing to look like swiss cheese when i am done.....

Nutbar
04-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Depends on the bolt position on the body some of them you have to access from inside cutting the floor some you get from underneath and the two at the front of the tub you can get to with out cutting.

bogealot
04-04-2006, 05:56 PM
i under stand that but what about the 2 mounts that are closed in just below the pass/driver door area????should I cut the inside of the tub or should i cut the bottem of the tub(if i cut to close to the mount wont it be weakend)...also what would a shop that is used to doing this sort of thing charge????

bogealot
04-04-2006, 06:02 PM
one other thing i forgot to metion is.....the jeep was in a accident before I bought it.i looked at the 3 mounts on the driver side and they looked like they were leaning towards the front of the vehicle...got the frame checked and found it was twisted and pulled forward a bit.....got the frame straightend and thought to my self that those 3 body mounts should now line up..right????wrong, they are better but still lean a bit....the body shop said once i get the bolts out i could stick a pry bar in the body mount hole and straighten the point where the body meets the frame......do you think this is true and how hard is it going to be line the hole ou so the threads go together right?????

Nutbar
04-04-2006, 06:04 PM
the middle one on the outside of the frame I cut from the inside just in front of the seats on the part where the floor rolls down I cut the top and the 2 sides and peel the sheet metal down when your done fold it back up and weld the cuts back together.

Nutbar
04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
the nuts are not welded into the body they are large pieces of flat bar held from spinning by a sheetmetal cage wrapped over them and welded to the body so the nuts have some movement for adjusting the body position on the frame

bogealot
04-04-2006, 07:27 PM
what if the bolts break off in the body????should i drill them out and weld a nut ontop of the exsisting nut or heli coil which would be expensive....

Nutbar
04-04-2006, 08:31 PM
If you cut open the body where the bolt is broken you can break the cage open and pull the nut and broken bolt out then heat up the nut with a torch and usually get the broken bolt out with vice grips while the nut is hot then you can reuse the nut.

bogealot
04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
thanks a lot man for all your time.....hope it works out

In The Zone
04-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Good luck it is always somthing when projects are on the go.....